Mario Level Design Event

New Projects / TeamWork Projects
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Mario Level Design Event

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I've posted this idea on OldUnreal, right now without much interest. I posted it as a contest idea but I think a more free-time event is better for this than a real contest. Should alleviate any stress levels and hurries.

Make an Unreal level based on any Mario game, compatible with unreal 225 (you can use 227i or j to make the level as long as staticmeshes and similar features won't get included), the idea is to have it cross-platform compatible as much as possible.

I'll make one myself after I get to finish a certain very special level that I have WIP currently.

The idea is to use only Unreal resources and with additional option of using UPak packages (UPak itself must be a conversion/port or must be renamed and included in the archive) or the finished upsx rework ones, or unreal 4ever packages (because of the funky content), but nothing more. Return to Na Pali music/textures are all fine as long as they are included and castle1 package should be renamed to castle1rys (or use the one I included in scorched castle map) for compatibility with Unreal Tournament.

One brush should also not exceed limit of 30 surfaces.

So basically, it's taking any Mario-and-related-games level or levels into Unreal environment but without using Mario textures or 2d gameinfos or sprites.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Mario Level Design Event

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi Leo!

Well I wish I was enough of a mapper to even understand all the criteria within your post!
Is there any chance it could be simplified a little?
What level of skills do you envisage a person should have to do this, on a scale of 1-10 ?
Let's say Chicoverde is 9.5 and I am 0.95 on this scale. :titter:

It interests me, since I am (only just lately) getting more and more into the editor. But I suspect I would need at least a few hours a day (for the next year) even to reach the level of editing that would be required from your post.

Does it absolutely/definitely/uncompromisingly have to be a Mario-style edit?

All that said, I would be 100% happy to provide music/sounds for anyone (including yourself) who was interested.

štěkot štěkot! (relying on google translate there, hope I got the correct woof/bark :Drogar-BigGrin: )

All the best !

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I'm sorry for being late here. I've been too depressed lately to even look here to be honest, but now that the heavy weight is off me I can go back here and respond.

I've gotten through enormous mood swings too during that. You can call me being crazy I guess.

A scale...well let's see I usually get nervous when someone asks me of scale of something, because of course this is very subjective...
but in my books at least 3 is required. It can be simple. Can be all built from cubes too, but more diversity/complexity is appreciated.

And yes, because I am curious how a Mario level would translate into Unreal by different people.

For example, the idea of having Bowser's castle using Nali Castle or Castle1 (the old alpha/beta castles) textures is intriguing and the person deciding how to cope with this challenge.

To answer your last question, that's actually the word for barking, but not for the sound of barking. It's like if you said "barking barking" in english. So, for "woof woof" its actually "haf haf".

So "bark bark" would be then logically "štěk štěk".

:serious: :cheesygrin:

makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

Count me in if it launches.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

You can of course start, it launches as soon as anyone starts on it, it's not really that bound by anything. I started on my own map but due to other commitments I haven't touched it since so many months ago.