227 as a server

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Minus
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

227 as a server

Post by Minus »

Was asking about this with Sparky today and he and I thought 227 was not compatible with UGold but after some reading I found this.
Taken from OldUnreal Wiki:

To which other Unreal version is 227 compatible with? (Server)

Basically a 227 Server can be used for all versions of Unreal except 226f. This limitation is because of an old compatibility issue caused by Legend with UnrealGold and Unreal 226f - it can't be fixed because this problem was created already years ago and requires a client update to fix it- which leads again to 227 then. Its not possible to fix it serversided only.

But if you want to use a 227 Server for the older versions 224,225 and UnrealGold you have to know that there are some restrictions:

* By default a 227 server denies older clients. You have to set in the "Advanced Options" -> "Networking" -> "TCP/IP Network Play" -> "AllowOldClients" to true.

* You must use maps and mods which DO NOT CONTAIN any of the 227 features. Means mods made with 227, maps with 227 content (like ParticleEmitter). But any mod or map made with 225 will run.

* 227s anticheat system works only with 227 clients, same as the banning feature. If you want to use 227 with older clients and you need some kind of antibot you need to use 3rd party tools.

So if you are planning to run a 227 deathmatch server its probably better to restrict your server to 227 only. To run a coop server without the anticheat system is no problem, but that's a decision the admin should and must decide himself.

Who runs 226f anyway?So if server is set to accept older clients then all should work. Worth a test?
“Even if things don't unfold the way you expected, don't be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.” ― Daisaku Ikeda
Oldsparky

Re: 227 as a server

Post by Oldsparky »

No advantage as 227 integrity will be off. So might as well stay with 225 unless you want to run 227 maps which I don't at this point. This all goes back to backward compatability issue. If 227 integrity is on, you only check 227 clients. Thats like hackbuster checking every other one of the clients. At this point my opinion is that 227 makes a good client patch but not effective yet on servers until it checks older clients as well. If 227 is fully implemented to have the security desired, only 227 clients can join. I have run it here on lan servers for testing.
Minus
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by Minus »

From Smirftsch:
Although not being able to take advantage of all 227 features, especially meaning the anticheat, the server is still protected better against many vulnerabilities.
Also 227 has http redirect which increases download speed a multiple times for 227 clients.

227 was conformed against 226b (UGold) to have the support for the most common client, which is definitely UGold nowadays.
But until 227g is out you have to use one of those inofficial UPAK conversions for 225 to play RTNP maps.
“Even if things don't unfold the way you expected, don't be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.” ― Daisaku Ikeda
Pitbull
FOD
FOD

Post by Pitbull »

You can use 227 for server and allow older clients and still utilise integrety. Just grab Wolf's psynch and follow the instructions for installing on a 227 server that allows older clients. Any 227 client will be checked with integrety and non 227 clients will be checked by psynch. Psynch is the best anti out for non 227 servers and with this configuration the server will have the best protection available while allowing all clients.

http://wolf.tcpclan.net/projects/Unreal ... 20_pub.zip
{KDS}Rewind
FOD
FOD

Post by {KDS}Rewind »

Some FYI on running 227 Server with Psynch for older clients.

Working with Pitbull, I have changed the configuration for the KDS DM, and MonsterMash servers to allow older clients. Then, added Psynch for the security check against older clients.

We have tested the security on both older clients and 227 clients. Psynch blocked the test hack using an older client and Integrity blocked blocked a 227 client with a hack installed.

There were some changes needed in Psynch and the allowed packages. Don't want to post the all needed changes on a public forum. So, get a hold of Pitbull or myself for the server specifics, if you are going to run this type of configuration.

If anyone want's to test there connection to our servers:
DM Server: 70.159.97.30:7707
MM Server: 70.159.97.30:7767

We are also testing/converting our TDM server to a Domination Server. At present, there are some configuration issues that need to be worked out. Not sure if UTF"s Domination mutator/mod is working correctly with 227 or if some server setting is incorrect. Soon as these problems have been resolved, that server will be running a similar configuration as well.

Regards,
Rick a.k.a. {KDS}Rewind
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Our test server is running with Psynch. We will see how stable it runs for a while.
Pitbull
FOD
FOD

Post by Pitbull »

Something else to keep in mind. EDM does not unload properly, so any client joining a 227 server directly from an edm server may be viewed as a cheat or hack. This is an EDM problem and not related to 227. There are 2 solutions to fix this. Whitelist EDM or ban cheaters manually. In other words set autoban to false. As far as configuring the server you must white list non common actors. Webadmin being one and any server side only actors you may add, like server ads, etc. If you have any problems please ask for myself or Rewinds help.
Minus
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by Minus »

Good work!Hey guys.Does Psynch broadcast a checks completed message or anything like 227 integrity does?
{KDS}Rewind
FOD
FOD

Post by {KDS}Rewind »

Hi Minus,

Sorry, can't help there since my client is 227.

Any blocked clients do show up on the Server Console (when on the server PC), so it should at least log the info to the server logs.

For our testing, Pitbull was connecting to the server with various clients (225f, 227f) while I was logged onto the server with RDP.
That's how we found out about certain server side actors that need white listing.

Oh, and to my post above, we got the Domination mutator running. Was not a conflict/issue with 227 and UTF. Either it was a configuration/setting with map list. (made sure it was EXACTLY the same between the maps in Unreal.ini and the maps in Domination.ini file

Rick