Installing open GL and 227.

POST PLAYING SETTINGS AND SUGGESTIONS HERE
Oldsparky

Installing open GL and 227.

Post by Oldsparky »

Ok lets have a guide to installing this. I have an unreal gold cd. You tell me how I go about putting in the 227 patch and making open gl work. Write the steps as tho the party doing this has zero knowledge about computers. This could be helpful to have and would serve to test the ability of 227 to work with newcomers. How do I set up my game? :lol:
Oldsparky

Re: Installing open GL and 227.

Post by Oldsparky »

Even more, how to do it with just regular unreal one or gold.
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Ok since this seems to be a problem for some people, here is the (hopefully) idiot proof guide to installing Open GL.

The best thing to do to avoid errors is have a fresh, unaltered System folder. Either that or reinstall the game and back-up your Cache, Music, Maps, etc. Also, make sure your DirectX is fully updated:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/aa937788.aspx

You will need to determine what patch version you currently are using (224, 225, 226, GOLD). As far as 224, 226 and GOLD are concerned, it is very simple.

First, find the patch you need here (225 users, wait up. DL the patch, but don't forget CookieMonster's tutorial towards the bottom. You should really read it first):

http://www.oldunreal.com/specialpatches.html

Should look like this, find the V0.2.exe's if possible.

Download and install the patch, run it, MAKE SURE it goes to the directory wherever you have Unreal installed. Some people have it installed in Program files, others in just their main drive. If you are insecure, copy the patch into the SYSTEM folder of your Unreal, then run it.

Let it run, it will install everything. Once finished you will notice your Unreal.exe (Launcher) will be green, also a "backup" folder will be created in the System folder, this is all the original .dll's and such in case of any error.

Fire up Unreal, you most likely will get a splash screen, select for OpenGL rendering:

Once in Unreal all your video settings will have changed. Hit Tab Type Preferences.

Make sure the following is correct:

Once verified true, change your resolution back to normal and adjust brightness. (NOTE: If you have unusually low light, you will need an OpenGL Tweaker like Rivatuner http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/).

You now have openGL installed! Now I'm sure you will want to tweak it and understand how it works (hopefully)

Check out this: http://www.oldunreal.com/patch/Oldunrea ... update.pdf

OK, for the 225 users, this is a little more technical as you have to make some manual modifications. They are NOT hard to do.

Here is CookieMonsters complete guide to getting it working:

http://www.densdomain.com/Uploads/Openg ... torial.pdf

For 227 users, 227 COMES with the OpenGL patch. You just need to select it from the list after applying the 227 patch:

Select the following Audio Device, unless you absolutely must have AL:

Run the game! Pretty simple huh?

For those of you who want to have the capability to run 225 and 227, read this:

http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php ... nd_227_.3F

Enjoy 8)

EDIT:

OpenGL is naturally darker in appearance mainly due to the fact that it uses dynamic lighting much more efficiently, therefore making dark spots in some maps even darker.

For those of you who are having problems with brightness, make sure the following is correct and make adjustments as necessary (I like to change settings in the .ini's themselves, so you will need to go to your system folder and click Unreal.ini [Important! Opens with notepad. If you get an Acess Denied error, right click it->Properties->Change->Notepad]).

Don't forget to save after making any modification in the Unreal.ini!
Last edited by Masterman on Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Cool Louis, any one try it yet?
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Tray did (225). Works great. The only problem he had was that his Nvidia control panel did not have custom color schemes, or is named something different that just needs some time to find. We messed with his brightness in his Unreal.ini and found that it needs a little tweaking.

Need more feedback to determine if there is any variables that might need to be addressed in the tutorial. 8)
3dtray-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by 3dtray-(DOG)- »

yeah it works but one problem oldsmelly mutt can hide in darker maps from ole3dtray :shock: cant seem to get the brightness rite :idea:
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

For those of you who are having any problems with openGL for 225F and still want the ability to use the 225F Editor, here is the procedure:

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Web ... atches.htm
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Wow, no feedback whatsoever besides Glen and Tray.....That's the end of my contributions to technical tutorials.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Masterman wrote:For those of you who are having any problems with openGL for 225F and still want the ability to use the 225F Editor, here is the procedure:

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Web ... atches.htm
Is there a way to run 225F with openGL? Only can find patches for 224, 226 and Gold. When I try to run 225F with openGL it crashes at once and can't be restarted again. Always need to copy my backup of Unreal.ini back to make it work again. I use the 225F editor for work and when testing things out of the editor the game starts in software mode, the only one that works. It would be cool when it start with openGL, makes editing much easier. With my 226F there is no problem.

Other problem, the editor can't use sound. With sound set to true it crashes at start. Can use the 225 editor only without sound. Thats annoying, for sound working I must always use the 226 editor.

The link above gives only the 225F and the uedfix4 patches. I have lots of them here. What I need is to run 225F with openGL and if possible the 225 editor with sound.

Note: I also tried all the patches from Oldunreal but without success. The link to the pdf tutor is broken.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Wow 3dfx. I could cry when I think of my old Voodoo2 with 3dfx, loved it. It gave me the best performance. I will try that, thx for the hint ;)

Kami
Last edited by £éè£å-(DOG)- on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

:D WOOF :D WOOF :D WOOF :D

:D it works :D it works :D it works :D

:D THANK YOU :D THANK YOU :D THANK YOU :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

but not only Unreal, for some reason my whole display changed. It's brighter and much sharper as before

:D WOOF :D WOOF :D

Kami
Master_Unreal

Post by Master_Unreal »

Glide huh? id use it, but it crashes too much for me lol, plus the fact it has no s3tc support :( But if you are using 225(which I dont see the point in that) Then i guess it works

Better off with 227 imo, but as I always say, its not for everyone
UnrealStunner
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by UnrealStunner »

This is a tad off topic but the same topic.
OpenGLDrv Here is the best sorce of files.

OpenGlDrv1.zip
28 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.0.0.0.zip
76 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.0.zip
76 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.1.zip
88 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.2.zip
173 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.3.zip
176 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.4.zip
179 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.5.zip
255 kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.6.zip 444 Kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 224/226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.7.zip 258 Kb OldUnreal OpenGL patch for versions 226F/Gold.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.6_224.zip 235 Kb OpenGL patch 2.1.0.6 for version 224 only.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.6_226F.zip 69 Kb OpenGL patch 2.1.0.6 for version 226F only.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.6_Gold.zip 244 Kb OpenGL patch 2.1.0.6 for version Gold only.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.7_226F.zip 69 Kb OpenGL patch 2.1.0.7 for version 226F only.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.7_Gold.zip 260 Kb OpenGL patch 2.1.0.7 for version Gold only.
OpenGlDrv2.1.0.8.zip 209 Kb Unknown (Note: Added by Stunner Best is Uned for 224 Co-op)

All Credit go's to http://www.celticwarriors.net

Link for OpenGLDrivers =0)

http://www.celticwarriors.net/Website/D ... OpenGL.htm

NOTE: Mappers these packages inc. The "S3TC" Program This program allows you to convert UT 2nd CD Texture Packages to Unreal compatible packages.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Masterman wrote:First, find the patch you need here (225 users, wait up. DL the patch, but don't forget CookieMonster's tutorial towards the bottom. You should really read it first):
OK, for the 225 users, this is a little more technical as you have to make some manual modifications. They are NOT hard to do.

Here is CookieMonsters complete guide to getting it working:

http://www.densdomain.com/Uploads/Openg ... torial.pdf
Hi :)

Ok, I know this is an old topic, but I'm still looking for a way to run 225 with OpenGL.
Once I had the GlideWrapper and it worked well so far, but since I'm on ATI it's not working anymore, to much graphic errors.
The link Masterman posted is not valid anymore.
I was wondering if anyone had downloaded the guide from CookieMonster and could post it again if possible.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

I found this post from Cookiemonster:
cookiemonster13
05-03-2005, 10:47 PM
what is your system specks and video card driver version? Also what patch are you running. If you are running 225f patch i have a great fix for OpenGL. I have been using it for close to 2 years now and not 1 problum. You can get it here:

OpengGL Fix For Unreal 225F Patch Tutorial (http://www.cookiemonsters-place.com/Unr ... torial.zip)
Also I've found on several other forums comments from people running 225f with OpenGL, but no one explains how. The link from Cookiemonster is not valid anymore, I only get a server error.
Only thing I know by now is, that it is possible to run 225f with OpenGL, even if many people say it is not. Everything I tried to make it work failed, I just can't find the trick to it. Maybe someone knows or can remember what Cookiemonster did to make it work.