The words of my mouth

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Oldsparky

The words of my mouth

Post by Oldsparky »

For many years now, I have watched the chat abreviations in the game. I am very troubled by the meanings of some of them. I have become aware of the fact that many of the young players have no idea what some of the keybinds mean. A good test is to google your keybinds and see what comes back. In the online glossaries of chatroom slang, many are not listed, as they are considered obscene or profane.

examples OMG, OMFG, WTF ect ect.

Do you really want to say that? I thnk these binds are unacceptable and the same as saying it. How low can we go? :cry:
solo=(cat)=
FOD
FOD

Re: The words of my mouth

Post by solo=(cat)= »

well I certainly dont have those as binds !

I have "meow","hi" and "quack" for somereason, ive no idea why the last one got put in.

to me these ones you mentioned are just exclamations of surprise or whatever,
i never bother to expand them in my mind.

just like when somone goes lol, i never bother to expand what each letter means.

its so common i gues ive picked up a habbit of them,
but i try make a consious effort to not use them here anymore certainly.

just ocasionaly ive just loaded up a full 8ball to shoot a skaarj and i get teloported to the end and i
need something to exclaim how surprised I am and what an awkward situation
this is to sudenly find yourself in knowing the 8bal is going to go off and blow every one
off the hard to reach pedestal where the exit is and is suspended over a pit of lava lol !

unfortunatly i have also noticed my self saying "lol" in actual real conversations lol !

as far as I know the f stands for "fluffy" ... <rolls-eyes> ...

I know a girl at school who was always told off for using the other f word,
wich she seemed to do a lot, but she quite quickly learned to use sugar instead lol.
is that just as bad? its using a word as an expresion wich bears no relation to
the true meaning wich is how swear words became swear words.

I think its awkward to pin down abreviations but realy I think if someone is using them
who is going to be a problem then I think they will also be using other far more unaceptable
words wich makes it clear what to do about them without worrying yourself tooo much about
abreviations, i do howver completly see your point though, do young poeple even have any idea
what they are?

well the young people seem to know far more about swear words than us oldies.
wich often makes me think adult chat places as often having beter language !
Little Daisy Sunshine
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Little Daisy Sunshine »

... well for me, its like getting hit. I expand the letters each and every time. :shock: :|
On Earth, as it is in Heaven...

www.firesong.com
[IMA]BlondePsycho
FOD
FOD

Post by [IMA]BlondePsycho »

well in this day and age... sorry for the headsup.. but you better get used to it like it or not.. this IS the shape of things to come...
We all use some form or another of shortform regarding an sentence, expression or meaning.... I think many of us may at one time or another even used.."lol"... in an actual sentence.. even if only for a joke..( which some may not have understood)
just give it 10 years and then see what kinda crap shortforms are out there...lol
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

I think the point here is not the use of acronyms but their meanings. I, for one, am not offended by most words, depending upon their use. When I first started playing and I would see LMAO I actually thought people were calling me lame. I really was a newbie. :) To me "A" is just a part of the human anatomy and a word in the English language used to refer to it. The saying has been around longer than these acronyms and computers and was part of the vernacular where I grew up. Now if you call me an "A" then I might be offended.

As to the use of some of the others, I can see where the invocation of one's higher spiritual power may be offensive to those who feel that that invocation should not be used as a metaphor for one's astonishment. I personally differ. I feel OMG is perfect for how I feel when I use it, which is rarely and feel no remorse in mentioning my higher power in that context. God is my higher power also regardless of whether or not I share anyone's religious beliefs.

As for OMFG, I do think that this is a bit overboard. I would think it would be offensive to some of our more religious members. I would never say that out loud, let alone online and in polite company, which I do believe is the object here, polite company. Not the "F" word itself mind you, I have no qualms about using that word when and where I choose (but certainly never on Newbie’s). But the phrase OMFG I just find to be in bad taste.

WTF. Hmmm. Very often feel it but I don't say it, here. I personally have used WT? and let the others finish it. Again, the "F" word doesn't bother me, only how and when it's used. Is it wrong to use it here, in this context? Doesn't offend me. I am offended by it's use when children are around. Call me a bit old fashioned in that manner. But then again, most kids these days know these words even though they may not know they are hurtful when used in certain ways.

I know there are others to mention but I think I've made my point. I did stop playing Quake2 because I found the language on the servers offensive. But most of that was bigoted and misogynistic. Thankfully that is not the case here.

All that said this is a G rated, international server hosted in the U.S. where we fight on a daily basis to retain our freedoms. One of which is the freedom of speech.

Just my 2 cents. OoiGooEE
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

OoiGooEE wrote:One of which is the freedom of speech.
Hehe, i dont have to remind u all that freedom of speech is a very high standard in my country. U can almost say anything...maybe too much sometimes.

Nevertheless i do find it very offensive when ppl use the 'f'-word (or other phrases with that) in the newbiesservers. Its g-rated and thats it. Players stick to it or get kicked. Stick to it twice and get banned.
There are way other ways to express urself with the same meaning. Just in newbies it aint tolerated. Play by the rules.
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

I agree Wev and yes freedom of speech is a two edged sword. Some things should not be said. Just wanted to put the discussion back on track. As I stated I don't use most of those here. Frankly the only thing at this point that I would feel strongly about defending would be the use of OMG. Which I don't have bound nor do I use very much, if ever. To me that touches on both my freedom of speech and my freedom of religion. And for all of those who are religious, I do not feel it takes the Lord's name in vain but that is open to your own interpretation. This is the DOG house and I mind my manners when I'm in someone's house. You (Sparky) make the rules and I'll do my best to follow them, agreed with or not.
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
Wisdom(DOG)
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Wisdom(DOG) »

Ooohhh Man, hey if I've offended anyone, I apologize right now. I learned all my abrv.'s here in unreal as I played with people here on Newbies. Only server I've ever played on for any kind of time. Played on some others off and on but couldn't handle the language so never went back. As I felt that was my choice. I agree with Ooigooee in your views on this. I am a very respectable person and I don't use any abrv.'s here that I don't say in public, at work or with any of my close friends, which I think all of you are. I respect everyone else in the server and I Know for a fact that I've even started my posts with OMG...because I do keep him in my thoughts, but mostly because I live in the "OMG" state of California. It's something that's as common here as saying "fur sure" or "whatever". Now for the rest of em...any that use profane language I think is just wrong. I don't use any language that I don't hear on regular television and then there's some there I still don't say. But I think it is something I can drop if it bothers anyone. LMAO , LOL, and ROTFLMAO, were all thinks I found out what they meant in Newbies. As a matter of fact that's where I learned how to set my binds. So maybe we should get rid of binds completely. But hey it's not a big deal to me. I just thought this was all in fun and was not a serious problem. Why was it not brought up long ago is my only question. Now I know any time someone has used any profane language on any of the Newbies servers we've told them to watch the language and it's almost always followed by an apology and left at that. I truly, never thought this was a problem. Again, if my use of OMG has offended anyone, please realize it was out of ignorance and common everyday slang where I have lived for over 30 yrs now. Are you really saying that OMG is not acceptable??? Does it offend??? I would hate for people to cringe when I say anything on here or the server as I do when I hear the "F" bomb. This has been....
Words Of Wisdom!!:)
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Wisdom(DOG) wrote: So maybe we should get rid of binds completely.
In my opinion: NO !

Most ppl have binds for: HELLO, LOL, LMAO, ROTFLMAO, G1, GGS, GOODGAME etc etc....
There's nothing wrong with those abbr.'s,. It show the state ur in when someone punks ya. :)
Just DONT use the -u know- 'f' in it.

Unless everyone starts to use teamspeak, i'd say, stick to the binds. :)
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Post by Wisdom(DOG) »

Hehehehe....good one Wever....think your right. Just didn't know if I was over the top or not. You just listed all my binds, just missed "Take care and have a good one" lol. I always like to say good bye and let em know we had fun. They come back to play again when you say farewell.
wever.nl-(DOG)- wrote:It show the state ur in when someone punks ya.
Now I couldn't imagine that ever occuring...hehehe...best part of the game...as long as I know the one punkin me...I love that part. O.K. I would hate to unknowingly be causing a problem. Taco told me that on DOD servers of theirs, it will get eye rolls on some of my binds, Not a problem. It's something I can avoid not knowing anyone in there, except that they are all "Holy Rollers" as he put it. And you know me...I like to express the way I feel. It's the quiet games with no binds being used that seem to get very aggressive to me and not fun to play. Seems then players take things personally. Especially when no apologies are mentioned. Binds to me keep the conversations going and players take the game in a lighter sense and have fun. This Has Been....
Words Of Wisdom!!:)
solo=(cat)=
FOD
FOD

Post by solo=(cat)= »

I used to have loads of keybinds for stuff, but when I re installed I just left it simple, becuase I so often forget tp press t to talk and just start typing, and end up hitting all the keybinds lol ! the ones wich reconected or conected to a certain server could be rather anoying mistake.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

My point remains. We now accept things as normal language that were whispered in privacy 20 years ago. :?
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Oldsparky wrote:My point remains. We now accept things as normal language that were whispered in privacy 20 years ago. :?
Ah, ur referring to change of values in life.
Since someone started to use chat/sms, language has changed. Some things have changed :), speeded up 100%.
--= Keep Running =--
GameServer Admin

Post by Missionary2001 »

Once upon a time.. was a little strange boy that likes to read magazines with scooby doo and he laughs all the day, eating peanuts and listening on his favourite radio. Drinking coffee all the time :mrgreen:
I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!
[IMA]BlondePsycho
FOD
FOD

Post by [IMA]BlondePsycho »

Does anyone know or realize that that certain word everyone so dislikes was (REALLY!!) created by the Holy Roman Cathololic Church????!!!!
For
Unlawful
Carnal
Knowledge
....when it was against the law and when it was FORBIDDEN to know about sex before marriage and they used to stone young girls for it.. but the young men were seldom if EVER punished....
that's where that word came from....
and if you don't believe me.. do a tiny bit of research....
as for all the other bad words they come from very similar circustances... short forms of words etc etc...
does anyone out there know where the four letter C word came from well i do.,.. it's just a short form.. the same as ..lol ...roflmao... or any other... times changed and so did the language..
I am in NO way supporting the use of what many refer to as bad words... just explaining that maybe we better get used to them ... thanks to .... "freedom of speech".
I didn't make the rules.....