Forfeited Alliance (Assault SP Pack Demo 2)

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Forfeited Alliance (Assault SP Pack Demo 2)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

As posted by Yrex:
DEMO 2 RELEASED!
ImageImage
Features:
- Three new maps and two old maps improved.
- Three original songs.
- Other cool stuff.
Start playing from ASP-StartDemo2.unr.
DOWNLOAD
(mirror)
(newbiesplayground mirror)
Post by Leo:
I've been involved in this project by providing original design plan and working on some maps/code, also provided the easter egg music in frigate map. This is a combination of both mine and yrex's ideas that we had for basically the same project, though his original project idea was earlier than mine. This I had planned ever since the FLP release to create as an addon for FLP. Not everything is in yet but just in case we never get to finish the project here's the second and more stable demo.

The maps are being played now for example at 3's coop server in UT where I incorportated them as part of ccoopl5 release.

This new demo also features improved version of the "insekt" monsters originally created by Turboman now made more part of the Unreal backstory lore, if you remember the backstory of "Jupiter" it's basically now part of this, even though we never ever saw Jupiter as it wasn't part of any recovered Unreal content.

Also the old way of there being an embedded mutator in the maps is gone in the new release, because this conflicted with mutators/games that had own hud. Though with the new asp.u file the old demo maps can be played as well and they won't have the blue hud anymore.

So just take your pick.

Enjoy.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Forfeited Alliance (Assault SP Pack Demo 2)

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

The ASPDemo2 maps are now uploaded to the Test server and anyone wishing to check them out can simply select them by using the MapVote item in inventory. The order of the maps is as follows :-

ASP-StartDemo2.unr
ASP-MazonDemo2.unr
ASP-CrypticDemo2.unr
ASP-FrigateDemo2.unr
ASP-OceanFloorDemo2.unr

Feedback is welcome!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks for hosting it VooDoo. I did post on ut99 some recent info. Including a positive outlook if things will somehow turn alright for me, but it's the side of yrex's involvement that might completely drop. Here's my post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I do have some bad news regarding the future of this pack. It's now half-half that yrex will no longer work on this even after a break. If that will happen, the pack is essentially cancelled, I will not update already released maps, but I will probably release sample maps or short demos which won't be necessarily tied to the other maps. If...okay I have no idea what I'm writing anymore because once someone or something interrupts me which happened now, I lose my concentration. This is another factor of frustration for me. I need to constantly make notes or I lose the thread.
But either way, if situation will allow me to create more for this pack, it will be in short bursts especially if yrex drops this. Like I told him it seems to me he is one of those people who almost finish something and then not deliver. Before he wanted to work on two more maps for UPSX and that didn't happen, now he's dropping what is basically half his project in the first place. Even though he said in his last readme "some ideas" were by me, I'd like to clerify that only counts for his original maps like the Moon map and doesn't really count for everything else. The other Mazon extension was his work/his idea I only added a little bit to the story and added some items etc there. But overall half of the music choices etc were mine. The overarching story is mine and how maps are supposed to connect even though some liberties were done to change that. He is resurrecting with this his dead project but it was independantly my idea to do this "turn beta AS maps plus other stuff into SP as FLP expansion pack of sorts". But it was meant to be a little more "grounded" in general. However I brought this up first and created the original level flow and ideas until he revealed to me that he once considered similar thing but in a more dreamy/surreal version. Then I came up with that we should combine it. He ended up doing most of the work in practice, I can say that much. So I let him do the release now and write his own text file. But now it seems on 50 percent that it will be cancelled, at least his involvement. And if that happens the old maps will not get update by me either since I am going to leave it the way he wanted/planned.

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Hi Leo! Thanks for the extra info. Well if you don't forsee these released-so-far maps being updated then Newbies will definitely host them as they are now. The maps are great and in a unique style and seem highly-polished already so we will go ahead and add them as they are now to all Newbies' Coop servers. I personally had a great time with these maps, as did others.

Best wishes.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Thanks. Well, as for some details about the story. Originally I had plan for some invasion in another pack, yrex wanted to use that in the moon map, which anyway might be a combination of two things, it's kind of like combination of the Alien Legion backstory with what was stated in the unreal level design doc for the map Jupiter, which I referenced in the translator message in the cave of the start map. I added that since there was no explanation for why they would invade, but given their home is gone, they need to settle in somewhere new.
Interestingly both the adversaries of Alien Legion and the insect race mentioned for the origin of the map Jupiter are both insect races albeit of different origins. Also of note is that there was a cancelled project called "Invasion of Na Pali" which was worked on by Drevlin. So it's all a bit interesting how these plans intertwened (if i spelled that right).
But overall it was an idea that was multiple times mentioned and only now something came out of it approcimately. The atheist nali are actually from unreal psx episode 3 hence the nali2psx, so this really combines a lot of things together.

Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Here's a full tracker music pack intended for ASP entirely. If I'd know the potential fate of the pack I would have pushed to have more of that music used instead of repeated tracks like enigma in the demo...

Music