Critique of the Advanced Server

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Critique of the Advanced Server

Post by SpiNacH »

This post is not to bash the advanced coop, as I realize the hard work and effort already invested into it from many of our outstanding members (they know who they are, and a big thanks to all).

I just wish to post a few observations that may or may not be relevant.

On Jakal's server, I get the feeling of camaraderie, and have trust that other players got my back, and I have theirs, if you know what I mean.

On the advanced coop, this is not the case. It seems because of settings, everyone is forced to go "Rambo", and the spirit of coop is lost to me. Yes, it is still multiplayer, however the coop element seems to not be there for me.

I realize how hard it is to create a modded server, and of course I appreciate all the effort involved, however, until I feel like it is actually a true coop server, I will play on Jack's, or won't play at all.

On a completely different tangent, it would seem as if running a modded server has been the death call of Jackal's server. As Unreal is dying for sure, splitting the few remaining players left amoung several servers may not be the wisest avenue.

Again, just a few observations from a very very long time Unreal coop player. Don't mean to offend anyone, are only my observations about the new server.

SpiN
Oldsparky

Re: Critique of the Advanced Server

Post by Oldsparky »

My first opinion at first blush is I tend to agree with Spin on this. I will think about this further. What concerns me more is the lack of attempts to re kindle interest in DM and Koth. Kinda makes we wonder if this is worth the effort at times. I am not a coop player, and never have been. Players go to servers with activity on them. I think simply a little effort by Clan members to populate Sickpups would get the interest going in KOTH again. Seems the members are not concerned about this problem. I find this troubling. Older clan members from the past have moved to other games and abandoned us completely. I find this also a ungrateful response to the game that has been here for them for years. Newbies has stuck thru thick and thin,, very little gratitude shown here.
ShortBusRider
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by ShortBusRider »

Sparky and what I call new friends since as Sparky said the Old Timers are gone and most playing the game now haven't been here 15 years 8)

Yes I will be honest that I have not been around, for a few years it was due to health and personal lose in my life!!! But for the past year it was because COOP took over and as Sparky said I'm not a COOP player but at least I poop in to say hi to the few I really know and I sit in sickpups BUT no one ever comes :( Hell I'm not much of a prayer even though I have had the good fortune to test and play the game before it was even sold making me the longest worst player in Unreal, but the friends I have made are the most important :D

There are enough playing COOP that could do as we did for many years. Everyone had at least one set day and time to meet and play!!! Plus we would all be on TeamSpeak (newbies has one ya know) and talk, laugh and carry on for hours while killing each other :lol: You want to talk about camaraderie well ya have to try it to know :!:

Most have tried to be part of COOP, and yes the oldies gave up, however if the many COOP players would return the effort by playing DM KOTH, lets say every Friday 7 to 9 cst get on TS and chat MAYBE just MAYBE some peeps will return :shock:

OK that is all from the crazy man next door 8) Either way, each of you take care, happy gaming and long life to you all :!:
Take Care Be Safe & Do Good
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

i'm really starting to get tired of these repetitive complaining about the advanced coop server.
meanwhile all got the message - you don't like it. ok, i can live with that - it is your personal opinion and your personal right to feel that way.
but what i really miss, is the respect towards those players who like it. to me, i read between the lines: "i don't like it - so no one should play there!" .... what kind of respect is that?
don't get me wrong, for sure most players like to play in company, but i would never "force" any player to play this or that server. everyone should have the right to choose as long as server rules are followed.

and regarding the "coop-spirit" i only can admit that you are wrong. on jackals coop settings there is primary a competition - we all know it.... a couple of players rushing from map start towards end and try to get those few monsters in there. i also remember the complaints about "fraggers" like kill, who had to be stopped because he did not leave over enough monsters for the other players.... (i always had fun playing with kill, btw.)
so that "camaraderie" you are talking about works with few players for sure, but not if there are more....

on the advanced coop no one cares for kills or deaths.... it is just the plain fun - and despite your critics, players really cooperate and help other players in fights.
apart from all said above, i just can repeat: what is the problem? jackals coop settings are the same as before!?
and regarding the splitting up of the last few players.... well, there is far more contributing to that, and that all has been said over and over again....

but final word is still on sparky, and as you can see he does not like the advanced either - so you got probably good cards in your hands, that this will be over the sooner or later!

@koth: i really appreciate this as much as coop. it is huge fun! the main problem is the fact that the first player to enter might wait for half an hour and no one else would enter (happened to me many times) - so that's pretty much a waste of time... but willing to keep it alive without "forcing" anybody.
bus's suggestion is really good imo - even spin suggested some regular meeting on sickpups before!

WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

I think the issue is not if you like the advanced server versus the standard coop server. The issue that Spin is really concerned about and I as well is the fact that the remaining active Newbies Coop players are being split between two servers. If i check the all server list and the advanced has 3 players and no one on the standard server, I most likely will not join the standard server because coop is not much fun by yourself. This means perhaps if the timing is right maybe 3 or 4 players just dont get on unreal. This is similar to what is happening and has happened to Sickpups server in the past. People get on the all server list, no one on Sickpups, but players on MonsterMash or Coop servers. Once again the players just move on. I dunt know a way to solve this problem. This seems to further fragment our players that are active, I think thats the point that concerns me. If there were more active players on line this would not be a real problem. The different types of servers are great so each can make their own choice of which type to play on. The concern for me, do we have enough players to make these servers worth while? How do we encourage more players to be active?

Players will join active servers with players. If no one is there, they usually check back later or go play tiddly winks.
GoodOleTaco

Post by GoodOleTaco »

Regarding DM and KOTH..you just got to realize that some of us Old Timers got tired of all the fighting, whinning, owning, verbal abuse and dealing with some people who just never followed our gentlemen rules.

Some moved on to coop as it was more fun to play as a team with one commong goal, some moved us moved on to MM as it was more fun to play Vs Monsters..and some just got tired of all the Unreal Cow Poop and moved on to Other games as it was better to move on.

Maybe it is time to Kill Koth and DM, and focus on what the current DOG and FOD prefer. Better to have 1 full server then a bunch of empty servers. I still dont find Co-Op interesting as it gets boring and frustrating when there is nothing to shoot at and have to sit around at END...I will play MM when possible, if server stays up and running..if not...well...it was mostly a fun 11 yr run with this family.
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Coop has changed Taco, try the advanced server.