Playing KOTH

Posts related to Sickpuppy's KOTH Server and OldSparky's Memorial DM
Oldsparky

Playing KOTH

Post by Oldsparky »

Having played KOTH longer than anyone probably still playing, I guess I could be considered an expert at KOTH and different modes of playing it.
Originally KOTH was played as, shoot everyone, and especially the King. This was discontinued a few years back when Unleaded and TCP wolf, brought about the present Pure KOTH which was sought out by players who no longer play KOTH anymore. This seems to have become the accepted standard for KOTH of shooting only the King. (Personally I prefer the older mode.) It is no longer possible to pick on one certain player, Like Wever or Turok and dazzle them with your game ability.

The goals of the game are the reason for this post. Many players, if not most, think the whole goal of this KOTH is to win the map. While winning the map is cool and self satisfying, it is not the fun way to play. A player that has a killing spree going,, thats the fun,, kill em. Lay a trap and use the map features to nail the King at an unexpected moment. Personally my playing skills have deteriorated with age, and continue to do so but just when your thinking you have the match won, I may upset your plans. Using ones head and the map weaknesses to lay a trap for an rampage going on by a skilled player and just the satisfaction of taking them out is the true fun of the game. Its not points or kills, its outsmarting a skilled player. You all see my binds of Old People smell funny, and are sneaky, well thats the way I play and have played for years. I will lurk for an entire map, for just one great shot at the king. Yes Lurking is Camping with style. I will go to extreme gyrations to get to a location that you would never suspect a player to be. This is key to laying a good trap. I remember one of the few times i actually played while using team speak and hearing Stunner say, Sparky get off me hehe.
My personal goals have always been and remain to have about 15 kills in KOTH. More important is to get one great shot off, per map. Think about it, there are many ways to enjoy KOTH besides winning. Run and gun is ok , but playing with style is more fun, and the run and gun players always have to be on the lookout for the Chief Lurker of them all..

Strategy is the key for fun in KOTH. I think that even the best of Unreal have fell into one of my lurky traps, and therefore they all get great enjoyment from blowing me out of one of my lurky lurky spots. I am waiting somewhere on the map for your running by. Watch out for the Lurker.
Oldsparky

Re: Playing KOTH

Post by Oldsparky »

WOOF, Lurking soon in a Map near you.
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Re: Playing KOTH

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

Lurk the lurker :)
--= Keep Running =--