To be a game admin.

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
lucifur
FOD
FOD

To be a game admin.

Post by lucifur »

This is what it means to me, to be an admin.

(Disclaimer, all though resent events have caused me
to think about this subject, this is not to be rhetorical
in any way. I decided "why not write down what I think".

First off, I am not a member of the dog clan, I still
think I am welcome here though as I have had a UT99 server
for some time, there Hook has been my top guy , he makes
maps and gets the computer nerdy stuff to work on the server.

Just being able to afford to keep a server does not make
you an admin, and I really don't know how to prove my self
as one and frankly don't really care about some ones else's
standard in that context, I need to live up to my self and
that's my standard. I don't think you can be a leader unless
you take responsibility for your actions.

The cheaters make it miserable for me, when I first got
my server I was proud, it just had the vanilla install on it
and this guy came in and just tore me up, and I know he got
a kick out of it, it almost made me give up on my server all togather.

He knew the maps and would kill me at the spawn points
and just made it humiliating for me. If I came in a room
I was instantly dead, I don't know if he had some kind of
aim bot or what but I kinda think a veteran picking on a
newbie is just as cheating as using an aim bot, that's what
I decided that day.

He saw my player name was the same as the server and
had the gal to ask me for my passwords so
he could make some adjustments. Maybe he was trying to teach
me a lesson that I needed some help, but the only thing I
learned was players like this ruin the game.

When I get some one who is more of a neiwbi than me I use
the weakest weapon so thay can learn to play and not just be
dead all the time.

So then my first goal was to turn the other cheek, then to
put as much anti cheat on the server as possible. I also realized
I couldn't do it by my self, it takes a team of admins and players
to help out and make it a fun place.

The other day a buddy of mine couldn't figure out why I would
put time in an old game.

well to me to be human is to share that experience with others,
and if we cant do that then what are we, "that's what being an admin
means to me" :twisted:

Lucifur
Last edited by lucifur on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldsparky

Re: To be a game admim.

Post by Oldsparky »

Many of the orignal unreal game players have migrated to various other unreal based games and other first person shooters. Many find their way back to unreal and are amazed to see it still active and growing. This seems to be the starting place for many who play first person shooters.

As far as being an admin, one must have a desire for self punishment.

My call to admining was a request by Sickpup to keep the Clan alive and the Sickpup server running. I had my doubts, knowing little about servers and less about computers. We have made it thus far, but it has been anything but easy. There were times when we were scratching for a place to locate the servers, cancelled servers on three occasions because the hosts were going out of business, and another because of a friend losing a T1 line. We have been hacked, attacked, and abused, but we are still here.

And we are here in no small part because of the DOG members and their unwavering support for many, many years.
There are so many that have served and help who come and go, makes the Old one happy to think about it.
Thanks to the silent members who just play unreal and keep the servers alive. And to the server and forum workers who make it possible for me to ramble and fool around with the servers. (they grumble a lot, but it would not be possible without them)
We owe TKR for this great web site, and we owe Taco for bugging me to get a web site. This is all his fault.

I am glad we have Ladies in the clan to keep us in line, and tell us when we get out of line. The really provide a valuable service keeping us all based in reality.

We are indebted to financial supporters for paying for the servers, for modders and map makers, for other unreal web sites that help keep the game alive. Big woof and thanks to you all. The big things that have happened in unreal imo are Uteam, Flexmap, Kickban, EDM, Jzcoop, 227patch. Those are the really biggies. And MonsterMash has done extremely well for us.
Yes I am still a fan of KOTH and always will be, but thats the beauty of unreal, different game modes for different people.

I am adding to this post as I am inspired to do so. Keep checking back.

Frag one for Sickpup.
lucifur
FOD
FOD

Re: To be a game admin.

Post by lucifur »

I was telling somebody about newbies play ground and then I showed them the youtube minus put up for newbies, and he still thinks its just two or three people that's doing it. "He also thinks the same for UT99"

He says it has "poor graphics". I think some people just have the latest and the best in there mind, and don't even consider playing any thing else.

I personally believe that yes graphics are neat but when that's the reason for playing something, I don't see how that can be fun. I have noticed that new games don't sell as good as they used too, some would blame the market for still having to many old games out there and its saturated, but I think people are starting to want content over graphics. I have an unreal tournament 3 and I lost my key. So I went to the unreal.com and in there forums the official response was "Go buy one off ebay". Well hell if that's the way they treat there customers, why would some body rush down to buy the newest game that came out and plop $50 or more knowing that there is no support for it, seems like these older games are a refuge from the hostile outer world.

for me I am not putting them down if that's the way they want to do business, but I am not that excited about getting a server that comes with that kind of treatment.

PS. I did have a UT3 public for a few months, but I later dropped it.

Lucifur