Sickpup server

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Oldsparky

Sickpup server

Post by Oldsparky »

In my looking around my archives, I have located the original Sickpup server. This is the one we ran in 1999. It was on a cd that I saved from the original Sickpup computer. It was a celeron 500 with 512 meg ram and a voodoo 3000. A very small cheap computer, and ran on windows 98 first then windows ME. It has no bot protection, and no custom skins no uteam, no kickban no flex maps. It ran standard maps in the map list but had some others we could bring up if everyone agreed to the 2000 pings while everyone downloaded the map, and we stood and waited on everyone to get the maps. And yes it was KOTH from the start, not pure, which I don't like, but regular KOTH. I mean to tell you with dialup being the normal connection that sometimes was a awful long time. In those days Suicide Sid pings were common. The server ran on a home DSL with about 500k down and 60K up. Talk about evolution. Just picture commercial servers and supercache and maps numbering in the hundreds. Over 12 years the newbies servers have kinda improved, I hope. It has been a long and difficult journey to get from where we were to where we are. My biggest regrets are three fold.

1. Sickpup cannot play the game he loved, and see what Newbiesplayground has become.
2. All the lost friends who have left the game or passed away. There are many missing.
3. That current Dogs don't realize the threats to the CLAN we have faced and overcome on our unreal journey the past 12 years.

My hopes are that you all learn to get along.
I wonder what Sickpup would think of all the quabbling over such trivial matters. Not much I bet, he is not and was not to sensitive to others opinions. He kinda felt like if they don't like it go play somewhere else. In those early days he played on a lot of other early servers, and observed the problems in the unreal universe and "Sickpuppys Dog House" was born.

I have a feeling that if I shared some of the recent goings on with Sickpup he would tell me to abandon the whole thing.
He is talking now about Unreal tournament 99 and its better engine. You have to remember he sees things as they were in 2002, not today. He spends his time embedded in his music library and has a great media center with the best audio gear he can afford. That is his entire life these days. And yes its windows 7, I keep him up to date. And yes Unreal and UT are installed on it and used on our Friday nite lan games. The media player visualizations are displayed on a large screen tv in front of him, and he can see movement and colors, which is common with cortical blindness. He does walk better these days, and we have made the house more navigable for him. He takes enough pills daily to choke a horse to keep from having seizures and myclonic jerks. He is unable to operate a keyboard, mouse or a remote control. This must be done by others, but I am working on that and perhaps voice control of the media center.

Sickpups Dog House is the only reason the NewbiesPlayground exists to this day.
This is a tribute to Sickpup -(DOG)- and we belittle it with petty arguments daily.
If Sickpups story had not occured, likely the Newbies servers would not have survived.
We should be ashamed as we can play and argue and he can not. Count your blessings and be more tolerant of others.

Our basic foundation is very strong. solid and formed for very honest and good reasons.

This all makes me sad.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: Sickpup server

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I know about why this clan and site was created and knew it for like 6 years and I feel sad for Sickpup myself and I would not wish to be as disabled as he is and can be only thankful for that, doctors found me recently Raynaud's syndrome and also some stuff in my brain which affects me, mostly motoric side and I hope my blood tests will be fine further, because I am kind of frustrated with it.

I think you should keep running the servers, even though those are generally harsher times in Unreal community and not only there.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

I to have Raynauds, but that is the least of my problems, but I am after all and Old Person.
GoodOleTaco

Post by GoodOleTaco »

Oldsparky wrote:...but I am after all and Old Person.
..dont forget..smelly...old and smelly :D
Oldsparky wrote:...1. Sickpup cannot play the game he loved, and see what Newbiesplayground has become.
2. All the lost friends who have left the game or passed away. There are many missing.
3. That current Dogs don't realize the threats to the CLAN we have faced and overcome on our unreal journey the past 12 years.
I too miss some of the old DOGS and FODs, Skink, c4myDog, Smoke, GI Joe and yes..even Numbnuts :D Miss Maxxi, Daisy & Trinity. And one of the best Unreal Fiend and fellow gamer..Executioner MIB.
Minus
-(DOG)- Council Admin
-(DOG)- Council Admin

Post by Minus »

Yeah I miss a bunch of people no longer around.I keep in touch here and there with some of them via other utilities sometimes.
I really miss Don.He didn't play a whole lot of Unreal with me but we had a great online relationship and definitely same interests.
Lol,we were FTP maniacs.What a great guy.He's dearly missed. 8)
“Even if things don't unfold the way you expected, don't be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.” ― Daisaku Ikeda
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

I think of him often and cant bring myself to delete his skin from my archives. Spent a lot of time chatting with him, and he kept you know who in line.
GoodOleTaco

Post by GoodOleTaco »

Oldsparky wrote:...and he kept you know who in line.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

He was a class act. Friendly Team DM between DOG and MIB where always fun..and me, as a bad gamer, never felt bad for getting a 0 score by the end of a match. ;)