Sliding: For Idiots

POST PLAYING SETTINGS AND SUGGESTIONS HERE
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Sliding: For Idiots

Post by Masterman »

LOL, don't mind the topic, but this is the idiot proof guide (at least mine)for the game engine error of maintained crouched sliding. Basically, it is a natural time delay from the transition of the crouch position to standing upright. This procedure/tutorial MAY contain some condescending material, but I am a realist, not an idealist. So, sorry in advance.

Step 1 : First, you must be capable of strafing, dodging, crouching and a little dexterity of the hands. If you are not capable of doing this, or refuse to learn how to do so, then don't waste your time reading this.

Step 2: Ok, now you will need to set your keyboard up in the fashion that your crouch key is easy to access, and comfortable to use. My personal settings are right shift for crouch and I use the arrow keys to move forward, backwards, strafe left and strafe right. Next thing you will need to do THAT IS ESSENTIAL for making this work is disable your sticky keys and filter keys. This can be done in control panel under Accessibility Options.

Step 3: Ok, now that you have done this, you WILL NEED TO PRACTICE HEAVILY. You will not pick this up overnight. It took me years to perfect it to the point where it is engrained in my playing style. The only description that I can give you (that is not confusing or ambiguous) about how and why it works is to continuously hit the crouch key and strafe (or move forwards and backwards). YOU will have to make the determination of what time intervals are neccessary to depress the crouch key and move (slide). The easiest way at first is to strafe left and right while depressing the crouch key at the time intervals that you find acceptable. It will take some time to "Feel" those time intervals, so don't give up if it doesn't work right away.

Step 4: Ok, so you've practiced and practiced and it still doesn't work for you. All I can tell you is, tough luck. You either don't have the motivation, patience, dexterity, or your configuration set up properly. Sorry. :?

Step 5: Ok, so you've practiced and practiced and it does work for you! Well, brilliant! Give yourself a pat on the back for being open-minded, determined, and not ignorant! Now you are ready for the next step, but not so fast, this is the final and most difficult step.

Step 6: This next step involves maintained crouch sliding, but with dodging included. This enables you to cover an extremely large amount of distance very fast, while being invulnerable to headshots. Most newbies will call it a hack when they see it, but it isn't in any way, shape, or form. There is nothing involved with your Unreal.ini or User.ini. It all comes down to how fast you can process the images in your brain and make them work synchronously with your hands and keyboard. This last step is up to you to figure out, because quite honestly, I only know a handful of people who can do it CORRECTLY, me included, and I have a hard time with it.

I seriously hope this will END all confusion and me being called a hack/cheat/exploiting turd :shock:

I don't do it as bad in Newbies as I do in other servers where people are either doing the same thing or running hacks/scripts. This is the intellectual way of escaping a cheating players script/hack, but without cheating back. It is a loophole to me, I don't care what you want to call it, OR how you interpret this procedure because I spent alot of time and effort to make this for you guys.

-Masterman
Gort-{DOG}-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Gort-{DOG}- »

From Gort (Idiot) :)

Thx Masterman for looking under this particular rock. (I'm sorry I goaded you on the server, but this has been bugging me for years). Can we take it to the next step and explain the speed attained in the next level of this particular move? I can slide/crouch at normal moving speed if I want, but I CANNOT do it at any greater speed no matter what combo/tap speed of crouch/strafe keys I use. Or is this a server hiccup due to the move, that I perceive as greater than normal speed?
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Ron and I already discussed this on Teamspeak, but for those wondering how to achieve a longer dodge or speed period is already explained in Step 6. I can't really put it into words, it's just a matter of using the crouch/slide and dodging. there is something in the game engine that gives you that extra little "oompphh."
Cactus
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Cactus »

Lets just hope noone takes your advice because it's a pretty cheap tactic.
Little Daisy Sunshine
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Little Daisy Sunshine »

Louis, Thank you for taking the time and effort to clear this up. :)

I really hope that this post will put this issue to rest and we can get back to just playing fun with friends and enjoying ourselves together. :D :D
On Earth, as it is in Heaven...

www.firesong.com
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Cactus wrote:Lets just hope noone takes your advice because it's a pretty cheap tactic.
Thank you for the compliment...
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

Ok, so now we 're all clear about the situation, maybe we'd better delete this posting before someone else is gonna try it ?
(or is that way too many censurship?)

I admit Mr Masterman is harder to hit when he uses the sliding-thingy. I dont like the idea when lots of ppl are gonna use this sliding. And it looks pretty weird.

Personally i dont think he needs the sliding-thingy to win a map. So why doing it ?

Saw him trying to not to slide yesterday, u'd think he's been in the sliding-clinic ;P ?
--= Keep Running =--
-(DOG)-

Post by Cactus »

Masterman wrote:
Cactus wrote:Lets just hope noone takes your advice because it's a pretty cheap tactic.
Thank you for the compliment...
yay, more condescension! :D

You've said it yourself that it's an exploit of an error in the game engine. *shrug* Sorry if I don't say thank you, but I see this post as you trying to help more people to use this exploit. Hopefully they won't is all I'm saying.

I have been able to do this too, though probably not as well as you. It's not something I would practice though as my goal is not to win at any cost. From my POV, I haven't noticed a decrease in your using this. But I'm guessing that might be because I have told you what I think about it:?:

Just some food for thought, you can be sure that if there are people making their feelings known to you about it, there are lots more that just keep their opinion to themselves because it's not worth it in their minds.

No worries though, do what you need to do. I know you are a very good player, I'm not saying otherwise. I should probably just shut up now and leave it at that.
Little Daisy Sunshine
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Little Daisy Sunshine »

Morning....

I asked Louis to post this to end the discussion of it. It is not a bot or a script and it, even with the instructions, is not easy to do at all. I mean it is really not easy. We all use the crouch on the edge exploit so we dont fall off... so ....

no bot

no script

Let's all just get back to shooting the old guy.... or Jackal... and have some fun!!! :D
On Earth, as it is in Heaven...

www.firesong.com
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Yes, it is an exploit, so are many other things in the game, (i.e engaging jumpboots when falling).

This thread was made because of alot of people's request's on the server, that is all. They wanted to know how and why it works, so I honored them with that knowledge. I could have just said figure it out for yourself, but no, I figured this may help some people who are having difficulties in their playing style and want to improve themselves (this is human nature, and hopefully you all agree). If they don't use this procedure, then that is up to them, but in the process this thread could shed some light on other aspects in the game such as an individuals keyboard configuration and how to fine tune it so they aren't squeezing their buttcheeks together when engaging another player.

I HAVE decreased my sliding in the server. Believe me, you wouldn't want to see me play in TNN or another duh server.

Now, I try not to dominate the server (per Sparky's code of conduct), but at some times I just get lost as to where I am in status.

If someone does come in the server and starts dominating it, then I will match their playing style. I am a competitive person, what can I say?
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

I agree that it is very difficult and requires keyboard skills, but none the less it is a questionable use of an exploit, knowing that other players dont know where your really at. I dont believe I would want to win with a move that many people think is the unfair use of a game error and interpreted as a cheat by many. Personally I just quit playing when your heavily using your exploited talents. I think the exploiting the game is typical on the DECK and hard core servers, but it just doesnt fit my style of play. I really havent had good experiences with playing players that must always win. I would rather just have fun. So if I dislike a particular playing style, I just wait till the player is done, then I will play later. As I said its not a big deal. I have been playing a long time and there are many players better than I and thats fine. I will win when I can win and if I lose I lose. If the game upsets me, I will give it a rest and not play for a few maps. No one likes to continuously lose a battle. Be be assured I will play and if my game is on...watchout. Remember however that typing at 100 words per minute does not make one an author, it only means you can type fast. Repetitive movements can be learned, like driving, dodging and exploiting. Now Lurking and being sneaky takes brain power. 8)

Ps And anyway Old People smell funny!
Last edited by Oldsparky on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactus
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Cactus »

Little Daisy Sunshine wrote:Morning....

I asked Louis to post this to end the discussion of it. It is not a bot or a script and it, even with the instructions, is not easy to do at all. I mean it is really not easy. We all use the crouch on the edge exploit so we dont fall off... so ....

no bot

no script

Let's all just get back to shooting the old guy.... or Jackal... and have some fun!!! :D
I understand what you're saying...but comparing this to crouching at an edge and using jump boots on a long fall is a joke, IMO.

Anyways, we all have our feelings on the subject. I'd honestly rather not have even more people figure out this exploit.
BlondePsycho-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by BlondePsycho-(DOG)- »

Knowlege is power... apparently....
I think and have always thought that any changes in the scripting... keybinds etc etc is a form of CHEAT!!!
If the average person doesn't and can not do it... then it is unfair...
I dissagree with anything that gives one person an advantage over another... ie game CHEATS scripting keybinds combinations etc. that's why i don't use them..
this is just another way to WIN at all costs... and imho is intolerable...
sorry if I sound a bit terse on this but i have dissageed with it for the last 10 years i have been playing this game...
Heres a challenge for you.... REINSTALL unreal and play WITHOUT any changes to anything... except what can be sone through user interface...
then see how good you are!!!!
In ANY tower or tree overlooking YOU!!
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

BlondePsycho-(DOG)- wrote: I think and have always thought that any changes in the scripting... keybinds etc etc is a form of CHEAT!!!
If the average person doesn't and can not do it... then it is unfair...
I dissagree with anything that gives one person an advantage over another... ie game CHEATS scripting keybinds combinations etc. that's why i don't use them..
I honestly don't understand where you are going with this, but you use keybinds all the time. Your say commands are changes in the script, your name changing is done through script changes, and your skin as well.

I agree with you in the fact that deliberately changing the script to give you an advantage IS cheating. That's why I don't do it.

BlondePsycho-(DOG)- wrote:Heres a challenge for you.... REINSTALL unreal and play WITHOUT any changes to anything... except what can be sone through user interface...
then see how good you are!!!!

If you are referring to me, then that can be done quite easily. THE ONLY thing I have done through either advanced options or my .ini files is change the cache purge days to 0, cache size megs to 1024MB and my "say" commands. THAT IS IT!
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

I'm gonna add my two cents just because I've seen/heard/been in some of the conversations.

I appreciate Masterman "sharing" this with all, and I know I'm new here but... I don't consider it any form of cheat, exploit maybe, but seems to me if it's just pushing buttons fast, hard and in a certain pattern he mapped for the way his brain is wired then it's a SKILL.

I know I'm a Newbie and may not know of what I speak but I don't care if I win. Don't get me wrong I LIKE to win and don't like losing 30-0 consistently. Sometimes I linger too long, perching, "lurky lurky", run away run away, reverse. Sometimes I don't shake, my fingers aren't numb, I don't shoot my foot/wall, and I even win, sometimes.

I appreciate the insights players have shared with me from my first day on some random server (might have been here), showing me how to "throw" an 8-ball, the secret rooms, where the belts are and OMG how to zoom the rifle. To me this is just another insight. Advanced yes, advanced SKILL.

So thank you for sharing your insights and skills... All of you, and for making this a really fun place to be. Now let's get on with it. :wink:

Carpe Diem

OoiGooEE-{DoG}