Maps n Such

Questions, Informations and Discussions
Oldsparky

Maps n Such

Post by Oldsparky »

MAPS AND SUCH:

Here on Newbies, We get many maps from the map makers as soon as they are ready to release them. I am one of the few server admins that will run maps quickly and without hesitation. The struggle to keep a good server running and full of players is an ongoing battle. You should look at the all server list and number of servers versus players during different periods of the day. In order to keep, Newbie’s among one of the more popular and populated servers I attempt to have a good ever changing map line up. We have a good map line up running right now, what I consider to be the core for our Flexmaps list as it grows in the future.

I add about 3-6 new maps to our site each week, depending on new map availability.

Dial up players are important to me, as I played on dialup for a number of years. There are not many dialups left. I have set the server setting midway to give the dialups a chance with the broadband players. I have provided cds and dvds at anyone’s request. I have provided a comprehensive map page where all the maps I have are available for public download. We have provided map pack and flex map packs to enable even people who have trouble installing maps to do it with self extracting zip files. The present current map self extracting maps files, which you find by clicking on server files on main web page, are accurate as to what maps are running on the server today. This is subject to change however if I install the three new maps I currently have on my desktop.

I try to update the cache files as often as I can but this is a never ending chore. I suggest you either download the current map cache or get a DVD from me to get current with the maps. Then the next part is up to you.

This is the way it works. Someone either sends or I find a new map. I check it to make sure it runs, and upload it to the server. I also upload it to maps of the week where it will remain for several days. After a reasonable period I move it to the DM Maps section or authors category which ever is correct When you see a new map on the server, you can do a couple of things, either download it from server or go to the Maps of the week and get it there. I don’t know what else I can do to make this any easier.

Unreal players should manage their map files and archives, the truly serious player will have a large archive of maps and files. Mine totals about 20GB.

I have often wondered about running the server plain Jane, standard maps and no options.

I feel this would make another unused server on the list.

What Do You Think?
I think the DOG HOUSE ROCKS.

Deciding which map to run is another matter. All or most of the maps I get are very good and enjoyable to play. I have over 2000 maps installed here. I cannot run them all, and I can't please everyone. You have a map you would like to see added to the line up, please let me know. I would prefer that it is a map attractive to many players. Everyone is not happy with every map, but I am striving for a balance of a little bit for everyone.
Hyper
FOD
FOD

Post by Hyper »

I admire the HUGE number of maps you have there, and appreciate the cache packs. I'll continue to DL them from time to time.
Alter your reality...forever.

http://www.hypercoop.tk
[url]unreal://unreal.hypercoop.tk[/url]