Questions, Informations and Discussions
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

U96Mine Remake

Post by makemeunreal »

Just a few "teasing" screenshots:

​​​​​​​Image
Last edited by makemeunreal on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: U96Mine Remake

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Nice, I guess the detail level looks authentic enough (including that hole in the ground as seen in the trailers). Kinda sad that we don't have the originals of those maps though and that there are still one or two historic betas (or alpha and a beta, like that really mattered with the everchanging unreal developement, because the 0.86x stuff certainly started in alpha stage while the earlier game plan/versions 0.83 and 0.84 were certainly leaning towards the beta demo stage already) hanging in the air (it was never, to me, about who gets to release the most or something silly like that that even dcx was obsessed about and started to get manipulative towards the end, it was about preserving the history and everything). But some people think
that I shouldn't have been allowed to recover more material because enough was enough etcetera.

:beer:

I'd like to think that too, but where are the results? I don't see them. The only thing we saw since my recoveries was that weird version "98" beta
that might have been partially real but was messed with. (yes there was evidence etc. pointing towards that indeed it would be possible to fake it exactly that way, but making something possible and something being truly the case are still two different things and in this case it could be difficult to prove that it was indeed 100 percent fake)

Given that the state of the art in both the game files and maps would still coincede with the natural game developement (given we've already seen content shuffling between version 88, 99 and whatever version was the emissary unreali.u last modified on march 1998 but the original most likely being three months earlier) there are also indications that the beta was mostly real.

Those three are confirmed real versions (discounting the fact that version 99 was a special testing version too, that became the best known and biggest beta leak), yet we see that the playrshp skin saying vortex rikers appeared in 88, disappeared in 99 and reappeared yet again in that march file which was definitely later version than 99. 99 initial release was still december 1997, the beta leak is known as a february 1998 one, but we know that since the files were recovered from deleted files, the accuracy might be slightly off, plus add the fact that because it was the big beta, things were modified after the fact so they had time preparing all this for the testers or the press, simply settling on a relatively stable build to build maps on and save them.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

​​​​​​​Image
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

based

makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

Have we ever had the original crate textures recovered? This is a photoshop edit ai made.

What does "based" mean here?
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

What I meant that it's really good, as in, well there is this slang word "based" but it has more uses, I couldn't quickly find this exact use but it comes via via. Usually used in a statement of someone who just said plainly what he thinks. But I find this "based" too despite not being the same use of the word.

Either way I suppose you can express yourself by also showing screenshots and that I found "based".

Well...no, how many times do I have to say that it wasn't. I extracted everything there was from early protos etc it wasn't there. We never got a proper mine map, there were only some mine textures used in timstrosity and you know they were all myleveled (before it ws being called as such, in everything before october 1997 everything used was myleveled in the map by default unless specified otherwise) so we don't have the pkg.

The only full alpha/beta texture packages we got were the general package and the crypt package, nothing else.

makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

It's about time to show some of the areas as this topic is pretty outdated...
I killed every scriptedpawn in order to not give everything away.

The conveyor belt area.
A mine area as seen in the trailer.
The big cave as seen in a tiny pic.
I had to remake this door texture as well.
Tunelu.
The outside "HUB" area.
The scene from the screenshot that has started it all.
An improvised low-poly cave segment.
Another scene from a screenshot.
;)
The map is going to be chock-full of secrets!
Another scene from a shot.
THE CONVEYOR BELT AREA.
The "strange lamp" area from a screenshot.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I really like this. Most of it is more or less accurate too, except the bridge area. You can tell that the bridge area evolved into what we see in Dig in the release version with the collapsing bridges. It was not so tight there even in the original screenshot.

It might be due to your screen resolution I don't know, that makes you think that these areas are not so big.

makemeunreal
FOD
FOD

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, I liked working on this one but I've already started a s***ton of other stuff so the chance of this will ever be finished is slight.