Please enable map vote on infil server

Posts related to MM 850 and MM INF servers
wever.nl-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Re: Please enable map vote on infil server

Post by wever.nl-(DOG)- »

Yes, Sean is right.

But we still need to get rid off the bad maps.
--= Keep Running =--

Post by Oldsparky »

See, Unrealers are so easy to please, (long as they get their way) kind of like old people.
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

Not a bad idea in theory BBG. I don't have the patience to sit in an empty map. Next time you see me in MM just come in and ask, I'm always up for KOTH (if I don't respond right away I might be busy ;)). CheckMate used to do it all the time :)

And yes I'll note bad maps. I think SwampDM or something like that crashes really bad ALL the time. Doesn't come up in rotation very often but it's a real server clearer when it does (no one can stay in it). Sparky I think I sent you an email on that one at one time.
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

>KamiLunar<-(DOG)- wrote:Hm, what do you mean with bad maps? I'm still not very familiar with MM.
If you have a map which crashes or there are no Monsters spawning, you can be sure that the pathnet is invalid. If I'm correct,
maps for MM needs a valid and working pathnet. You need to ask Wolf about it, but I think the spawner uses Pathnodes and
Spawnpoints to spawn the Monsters. For example the DMTacoCafe map: This one couldn't work because someone deleted all
pathnodes in it, but the net still was there. That map only could crash the server.

As I could see, there are many mappers around here. Should be possible to fix those maps. But please also ask Wolf how the
Spawner in MM works exactly, that would be a great help.
Since I am a very irregular visitor, you may also eMail me if you want me urgently to respond to a question on your forum instead of just replying to your eMail which one of you would in turn only have to copy here - just don't haste me, the same "can take a bit to reply to emails" attitude goes for forum posts as well ;-)

Now this may be a little late but generally trying to run MonsterMash with maps that have no working bot-support is generally a very very bad idea. I have received a lot of bug reports and also logs and hopefully I can look at a few things over Christmas / New Year, however, if errors appear with MonsterMash on maps that turn out to have no functioning bot-support I will complete ignore those bug reports. There is just too much that can go wrong if the map isn't straight and I am too old to try and fix somebody else's stuff ;-)

The monster spawner does indeed go through the path network, item locations, decorations and a few other things to try and determine suitable spawn locations. If you want to know with absolute clarity which criteria the engine uses to select spawn points and which criteria are checked to determine if a spawn point is entirely useless please ask me again as it will take me some time to dig through the code.

Also, maps with lots of waterzones may not work properly. This is a weakness of the old Unreal Engine, I have always wished - for example - to be able to distinguish flyers, ground based and water creatures. While the internal monster list does distinguish them, of course, the old engine does not appear to have a good way to determine which spawnpoint would actually be a good location for which type of creature. You may also have noticed that, for example, if you go for a swim fleeing from a Manta or a fly, the creature will just follow you under water and will not ever drown... these are engine weaknesses... I do not know if anything was done about it in 227, though I believe the topic did come up from the coop department.

BeachBumGuy-(DOG)- wrote:A future feature of Uteam might be an automatic alternate maplist as a function of the presence of a bot in the server. To make it short :The lone player plays koth with a bot in standard maps until another player joins and the wflexmaplist kicks back in :)
This is a request I would feel uncomfortable complying with. Also, by simply configuring a small amount of maps for exactly 2 players (0-2 or 1-2) inside WFlexMap - and all other maps for 3 and more players - should pretty much achieve the same effect..?!
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

OoiGooEE wrote:Heck did we ever get "Buttons" fixed for KOTH DM?
Hm, if you have problems with movers in KOTH maps, thats really simple to fix. I would need the filename of the maps and if possible a short description of whats wrong.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

}TCP{Wolf wrote:however, if errors appear with MonsterMash on maps that turn out to have no functioning bot-support I will complete ignore those bug reports. There is just too much that can go wrong if the map isn't straight and I am too old to try and fix somebody else's stuff ;-)
Hehe, very understandable :lol: :lol: :lol:
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

There is another thing which can cause a problem with monster spawning.
Many mappers use so called building boxes to create their movers and other brushes. In general thats a big room apart from the rest of the map. Some mappers added lights into these boxes and here is the problem, because these light actors also used to spawn monsters. Well, players are not able to reach them :-D.
So if an admin sees a map where are not enough monsters to find, but the info shows, there are enough in the map, should ghost outside and take a look for such building boxes.
One popular example is DMElsinore, there is a big box beside the lava area. This one causes no problems because there are no actors in it.

Another big problem are areas players can not reach, or better they can not reach it alive. Think of an abyss, if players falling down they die, but monsters don't. So after a certain time you will have lots of monsters down the abyss, but only few left in the playing area.

There are two ways to fix these problems:
1) Delete all actors in building boxes.
2) Make sure monsters die in areas players can not reach.
}TCP{Wolf
FOD
FOD

Post by }TCP{Wolf »

>KamiLunar<-(DOG)- wrote:There are two ways to fix these problems:
... now... if you only had those solutions already done in UScript code that would be sweet ;-)
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

}TCP{Wolf wrote:
>KamiLunar<-(DOG)- wrote:There are two ways to fix these problems:
... now... if you only had those solutions already done in UScript code that would be sweet ;-)
hehe, yup that would be fine, but to my shame I'm not a coder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well however, of course I'm still looking for solutions and I found a really simple one for a problem which occurs in many maps.
For example, imagine you have a room with some windows. Often there are boxes outside of the windows whose surfaces are set to FakeBackdrop, so when players look outside they see the skybox. In many cases there are also lights placed outside to fake sunshine or other light sources. If the windows are solid and monsters spawning outside, players can't get them :mrgreen: .
But of course there may be many other cases where lights are at places where monsterspawn is bad. Well, there is a really simple solution to solve these problems. All we need is an actor which is not used by the spawner. I made a test and replaced some light actors with triggers. As you probably know, you can give nearly everything in Unreal light, not only light actors. And yep, you can even use a simple trigger as light source :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, TriggerLights still would be a problem :lol:, but it's one step closer to get maps to work good with MM.
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

Nice :) Welcome back Kami, I hope you are feeling better.
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"