Project Krašiðaar (Constructed Language)

Post general stuff here
Forum rules
Do Not Post About Other Games here but in the Thread provided for it.
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Project Krašiðaar (Constructed Language)

Post by SerpentineStorm-(DOG)- »

Xangent Here!

This is a project I'm working on, it's a new constructed language I created, as all other constructed languages I created were hard to remember the letters created (As they're based around Alien Languages, not Skrathiji though).

The language is called "Krašiðaar" and is spelled like this:

Kra-She-Th*aar (The asterisk represents that the "th" sound is based off of the word "The," on the IPA chart, based around the letter eth)

Krašiðaar's letters are (almost) entirely Latin letters, with only a few letters having their own standalone modifications, and one letter is of Greek/Russian roots: Phi (Greek) Ef (Russian) Φ.

There's a little story behind the language and how I got the idea:

STORY

Countries of Yugoslavia and of the Soviet Union decided to bring back the old roots of the U.S.S.R after some unknown forces destroyed most of their cities, it was presumed the Skaarj launched a successful attack in Europe.
Peter Stroganov, the man responsible for the reformation, decided to get his own idea of making a new auxiliary language (like how Esperanto was made) in order to easily contact his marines if anything goes wrong, and as a secret language the Skaarj don't know about.

It was since then the idea of "Krašiðaar" has expanded through his mind, and that he decided to teach his marines the language in order to easily communicate, and due to its effectiveness, Stroganov decided to present it to the United Nations.

At the headquarters of the headquarters of the United Nations, respectively at the city of Chicago in a mysterious place codenamed: Sector 6, Super Nova, the councilor decided that the main lead of the U.N. should take further notice and think about the idea of the newly formed language.

And as it turns out, the main lead liked the language and decided that every country should learn it as a side language so that if things get harder against the Skaarj, they would communicate with said language.

On the other hand, since the succession of the language, it came with dialects, and one of them is Czussin, the Czevs' main language which was based around the Czech language for some time, until the dialect has changed into a standalone language, and that the name of "Czussin/Czusskin" has changed to "Czezerik."

IDEA

The idea behind the language is that the languages I create are usually hard to remember their letters, such as a language I created, called "Velocran." So I decided "Why not make an entirely new language from scratch that consists of Latin Letters, and then I could remember each one by their sounds and their modified symbols?"

So this idea has worked through the use of a copybook and a pen, but then I decided once more that I could make this dream happen for real. The work is still in progress. It is all through the use of three tools:

- Microsoft Paint
- Microsoft Private Character Editor
- Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator

And this has been something I've been crazily thinking about, gladly making them. Work is still in progress.

Unfortunately the font chosen for the language is Arial, so it's not yet to be a font on its own.

This has been a small project I've been working on, and I'm glad to announce it to y'all! I'm sure it will be successful, I don't know exactly if this project will be compatible with everyone, but hopefully it will.

Best Regards. :)

WOOF!
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Re: Project Krašiðaar (Constructed Language)

Post by AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)- »

As a linguist, I would be glad to help you in some way :)
When most people try to create "constructed languages", they usually end up just making their native language, just with different words. Sure, the words and sounds might be different, but the *grammar* and the *structure* and the *way the language works* usually end up being pretty much the same as their native language. Most people don't even realise how other languages *can* work, what sorts of things languages even *can* do, because they only know their native language and maybe one or two others.

In your case, I know you know English and Arabic. I don't know if you know others. So that's a good start, as English and Arabic are rather different from each other, so you have a range of linguistic phenomena that you're aware of. But still, unless you study linguistics, there are so so many things that foreign languages can do and ways they can work which are nothing like anything you know!

So yeah, I'd be happy to be here for you to discuss your ideas with and help you work on your language and stuff :)

Also, the "aa" in the name "Krašiðaar", does this represent a long vowel? Does Krašiðaar distinguish vowel length?
Also, I'm curious whether you're going to make the morphology (the way words are constructed) like Arabic (consonant roots in templates) or like English/other Indo-European languages (prefixes and suffixes on a stem) or something else even?
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)- wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm As a linguist, I would be glad to help you in some way
When most people try to create "constructed languages", they usually end up just making their native language, just with different words
Ah! Never thought about this odd phenomenon, as once I tried it with pen and paper, I immediately think of words that sound NOTHING like Arabic, English, and German.

Of course the language is entirely created from scratch, and I’m certain that the words I’m thinking of to make Krašiðaar a reality.

Of course since the basic concept mentioned in the story is to have an auxiliary language so easy to communicate with (like Esperanto), the grammar might be based off of English.

Yes, the “aa” in Krašiðaar is long, so the language does distinguish Vowel length, and it also does distinguish various digraphs and diphthongs in order not to make the individual confused of how could they talk.

As for the morphology, it’s a mix between the two.

WOOF!
AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)- »

EpsilonXangent-(DOG)- wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:41 pm
AndréRhineDavis-(DOG)- wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm As a linguist, I would be glad to help you in some way
When most people try to create "constructed languages", they usually end up just making their native language, just with different words
Ah! Never thought about this odd phenomenon, as once I tried it with pen and paper, I immediately think of words that sound NOTHING like Arabic, English, and German.
I'm not talking about the *sound*, I'm talking about the *grammar*.
As in, if someone only knows English, they'll just usually make a one-to-one correspondence between English and their language. As in, to say "I have eaten the food", they'll have a word for "I", a word for "have", a word for "eaten", a word for "the", a word for "food", and these words will have the exact same range of meanings and uses as their English correspondents and will be put in the exact same order with the exact same meaning. They'd make the word "have" be both a possessive and an auxiliary verb for the perfect aspect, just like English. They'd have "subject verb object" (i.e. I eat food) in that order and "determiner adjective noun prepositional-phrase" (i.e. the big house with a door) in that order, just like English. They'd conjugate verbs for the exact same tenses and aspects as English has, so you could say "I eat, I am eating, I have eaten, I have been eating, I ate, I was eating, I had eaten, I had been eating, etc" in the same way as English. Or if not, then it'd be a simplification of English's way.
Basically, it ends up being a "relexification" of English. That is, it's basically English sentences translated word by word into the language. As opposed to a distinct language with a distinct grammar.

Think about all the ways Arabic is different to English:
- "verb subject object", not "subject verb object"
- "noun adjective", not "adjective noun"
- there is no indefinite article (i.e. "a"), only a definite article (i.e. "the")
- there is just a past tense and a non-past tense
- verbs conjugate for person and gender (i.e. I, you, he, she, etc)
- not just singular and plural, but singular, dual and plural
- in formal Arabic at least, nouns have case suffixes (-un, -an, -in)
- root/template morphology (e.g. k-t-b into 1i2aa3 gives kitaab)
- verb derivation via different "forms" (e.g. kataba, kattaba, kaataba, etc)
- and many more

If someone only knew English, they wouldn't might not even consider that a language *could* do any of these!
Anyway, good luck :)
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Glad to hear some tips from a linguist like you, Andre, thank you so much!

Anyway, I'll take a rest for a while and continue on the letters, both capital and small.
Yes, it is taking a long time, but at least I'm doing something worth my time.

WOOF!

(btw, nice profile!)
SerpentineStorm-(DOG)-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

MAJOR NEWS ALERT: The language name “Krašiðaar” has been changed to Krexilim (pronounced Krre-kshilim). The name didn’t really fit the language so I made up a new one. In addition to that, here are some big changes to the alphabet made in pen and paper:

This is the new chart of all the letters in Krexilim, and it also includes the IPA-style sounds for vowels and consonants (if anyone’s interested, welcome):
3CAACA36-001D-4B23-900C-A46D6892585C.jpeg

There is an issue to mention, all the letters look deformed when adding in the newly made letters into the code spaces in Private Character Editor. But I’ll soon find a way to create these letters through the computer so that they’re usable as we speak.

An interesting progression back in April was that the original language of Krašiðaar/Krexilim was named Našaðor, which also seemed flawed for the language. Here is the beta chart:
2A4438FD-B945-4B27-B128-28D287F70C7D.jpeg

This looked pretty prototypic because it was rather a test than an anticipated language to be created.

Hopefully this would be a successful project to be working on, Best Regards!

WOOF!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.