FAKE "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND" - UT99 servers online!

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

FAKE "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND" - UT99 servers online!

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

just to inform the community:

there are some Unreal Tournament (UT99) servers online containing the name "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND" within their servernames. these servers got nothing to do with the original NEWBIESPLAYGROUND.COM, -servers or -(DOG)-clan!

some EX-members of the -(DOG)-clan (- who thought they should lead this clan -) run these servers. obviously they are lacking of creativity and need to hook on the "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND tradition" to attract some players. i have also heard that they are trying to withdraw players from this community. so, in case you want to play there, be aware of the fact that you are not on NEWBIESPLAYGROUND!

WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Re: FAKE "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND" - UT99 servers online!

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

There has been another DOG clan on UT that ran assault servers for years, prime assault servers, but they don't have newbiesplayground in name, just happen to be named "dog" as well.

But this is clearly something else.
I'm in grave IRL trouble, please donate:

https://ko-fi.com/supportleotck41959
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

yes, i noticed an ut-clan using =]DoG[= within their servernames. that's no problem to me, yet it is pretty obviously why rubie, bbg & co. chose "NEWBIESPLAYGROUND" for their servernames.

i am currently in discussion with #333networks and they agree to negotiate between rubie and me (i sent rubie a message to change the server-names).
#333networks sent a message to rubie offering him 2 possibilities: either changing the servernames or all ut-servers containing NEWBIESPLAYGROUND within the servername will be blacklisted and blocked by masterservers.
VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

I have to say that impersonating another player is not exactly a smart thing to do, but trying to impersonate a clan server that started out in the last millenium is bordering on ridiculous.

strategy-(DOG)- wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm #333networks sent a message to rubie offering him 2 possibilities: either changing the servernames or all ut-servers containing NEWBIESPLAYGROUND within the servername will be blacklisted and blocked by masterservers.

Well that is good news, I really hope that sanity wins; and the gentlemen in question realise their silliness.

WOOF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Well I'm sure they feel different about it, having been part of the clan.
Not that I care after what Rubie pulled on me on oldunreal etc.

strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

having been part of the clan and being excluded from it due to actions they did behind the scenes (parts of this forum are only visible to clanmembers and admins) does not give them any justification to use the same clan-name when founding some "project" on their own.
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Sure. Though what I don't understand is, why bbg? He seemed pretty tame and stuff.

Rubie-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by Rubie-(DOG)- »

I just want to make something clear , our servers have no links with this site nor Clan , if you think so you not looking good, server is advertised with admin name and email address, it would be a bit strange if on the world only 1 person could use a certain word ??
fex. fitnesscenter lol there are tons imo.
so stop to say silly or idiot or wathever , we leave you all living in peace, so give us the same!
and yes we try to go our own way, is this a murder ??
Some have been killed in here , we try to recover them thats all as friendship is somethiing I never forget and in here some have no respect for this.
and if 333Networks just don't advertise our servers well then this is their problem not ours, everyone is free to do as they like if you want my opinion.
The clan leader from the DOG clan always said this isn't a democracy over here so I accept this lol.
But going crying arround on forums for being the brave clanleader should be viewed as democratic?? If you're not a democrat well don't come crying.

Greets, Rubie
I have no signature :crying:
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Rubie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am I just want to make something clear , our servers have no links with this site nor Clan , if you think so you not looking good, server is advertised with admin name and email address, it would be a bit strange if on the world only 1 person could use a certain word ??
fex. fitnesscenter lol there are tons imo.
so stop to say silly or idiot or wathever , we leave you all living in peace, so give us the same!
and yes we try to go our own way, is this a murder ??
Some have been killed in here , we try to recover them thats all as friendship is somethiing I never forget and in here some have no respect for this.
and if 333Networks just don't advertise our servers well then this is their problem not ours, everyone is free to do as they like if you want my opinion.
The clan leader from the DOG clan always said this isn't a democracy over here so I accept this lol.
But going crying arround on forums for being the brave clanleader should be viewed as democratic?? If you're not a democrat well don't come crying.

Greets, Rubie
of course your servers got nothing to do with newbiesplayground - how could they as you are not part of this clan!!
everbody easily can see that you are only seeking to provoke. you are a shame for the whole community. it is not only me who does not accept your sneaky behavior.

you are completely wrong. you know who said, that this clan is not a democracy? it was OldSparky! here is an excerpt from his thread from august 12th, 2012:
...Ok time for my periodic rebuff and reprimand for the clan.
Let me make some things clear. First the DOG clan does not have any servers. These servers are rented and controlled by me. These are private servers that are available for pubic use as long as a few simple rules are followed. Break the Clan rules and your out of the servers, all of them. SIMPLE!
The clan exists today and since 1999 due directly to my stubborness and the way I run the Clan. No other reason!
This is not a democracy, there is no vote, the buck stops here.
What is going on right now on the test server is under my direct control and because of certain reasons I have. I am not doing it, others are doing it is under my direction to do so and I have final say. This server development is being done by Leela and Strategy at my request.
All the whining about unreal and keeping it original, just isn't happening today or has it since epic released the first patch. ...

you see, the clan never was democratic. just your never ending stupid comments may let some people think that newbiesplayground was a "democracy".
and just for your information: i post everywhere i want to. it is my task to inform the community about fake servers that could damage newbiesplayground's reputation.
me crying? this makes me really laugh! you are such a weak, sneaky and instable person that you are not even worth being called an opponent of me!
more to come!
Leo(T.C.K.)
FOD
FOD

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

IMO Rubie should learn better english before he responds like that again. But...*sigh* I'm staying away from this otherwise.

(if not just because I had my share of e-mails from Rubie like that)

VooDoo-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by VooDoo-(DOG)- »

Basically this name-stealing is a form of plagiarism. It is low, it is underhand, it shows a lack of creativity, it demonstrates a lack of intelligence and as the people involved are fully-grown adult men; it's pathetic. This is the kind of thing I would expect problematic teenagers to do, not grown men.

There is a saying that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" . To put it simply, these type of people copy winners and success stories.

In the long run, this only makes the people in question look like fools and little babies who are crying because they didn't get life the way they wanted it.

I make no apologies for my directness on this occasion.

WOOF!

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

VooDoo-(DOG)- wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:07 pm I make no apologies for my directness on this occasion.
...why should you!? you just state the truth! i fully agree with you!
WOOF!
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am Sure. Though what I don't understand is, why bbg? He seemed pretty tame and stuff.

i will shortly reply to this question and offer an historical report that may give a more accurate "picture" of the current situation and the persons involved. stay tuned.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 am Sure. Though what I don't understand is, why bbg? He seemed pretty tame and stuff.

for given reason i think it is necessary to state some facts to the public unreal community that will explain how we reached this point.
first of all, i am not very much interested in wasting my time on this kind of "issue", but as it is necessary, i will spend some time on it.

starting off with rubie and me. well, rubie always tries to state that all he does is for the unreal-community, he wants to help and support,.... yes, he did a lot of work for unreal, even for newbiesplayground. but there is more about to say. i joined the newbiesplayground-servers in late 2009 (and i joned the clan in 2011). i was interested in the story behind the clan and i spent many many hours talking to OldSparky who gave me all relevant information and introduced me to his point of view and attitude. i got fascinated and wanted to join the clan. rubie, he joined the clan 1 or 2 years earlier, helped me learning the maps and stuff in the beginning. it took some time until i learned about rubie's "second face" - his "calculating side". an interesting fact to mention is for sure, how rubie became -(DOG)-: many of you know, that players who want to join the clan wear the -(PUP)- tag in the beginning for a trial period, until the clanleader gives the -(DOG)-tag to that player. rubie was the only member ever, who stated that he wants the -(DOG)-tag immediately - he did not want to go for the "traditional" way. it was a bit surprising that sparky agreed on rubie's request (later on i got the information that explained his attitude) and of course this was the initial point, when rubie started to gather "friends" within the clan, because not too many members thought that was the correct way.
so, how did that come? you need to learn about the fact, that rubie was one of few players donating to sparky. sparky once said to me, he would not be able to run the servers, if rubie did not donate. obviously sparky was dependent to some extent to rubie. you may say, ok, what's the problem? it was very kind of rubie to support the clan on the financial side. ...but wait a little bit. another interesting fact: sparky never made rubie an admin! seemed strange to me. guess what, it was me, who asked sparky to give rubie adminprivilegies back then.
in july 2013, sparky's health condition got worse. he hardly could play anymore, nor even attend the servers to watch - he approached me, and asked, if i would be willing to lead the clan and care for it's existence/survival. i never asked for leadership, nor did i even think about that. my first question was: "why don't you make jackal clanleader?", as this would have been the logical follower in my opinion. sparky explained me, that jackal wanted to keep himself out of the politics and he accepted that of course. he said there was nobody else he could imagine to stand the challenge being clanleader of newbiesplayground, as this would be a "tough job". i knew how important unreal and the clan were to sparky, so i accepted and took this "job" seriously.

now coming back to rubie's donations: surprisingly rubies donations ended (for ever) at that point, when sparky officially announced me being the new clanleader... well, that was no problem, as i could afford the server-rent on my own and that's the way everything is being paid since then. i consulted sparky's opinion on almost all steps i did and we discussed everything that was relevant. all changes made back then had been confirmed by sparky, e.g. instead of renting several playerslots on virtual machines of certain gamehosters, i rented a dedicated machine and set it up to run various unreal servers, including administration-controlpanel and all kind of accessibility on demand. within these discussions, sparky and me often talked about all kind of matters and he tried to give me as much information and hints how to run this clan, as he could. i still can hear sparky's words, when he warned me explicitely not to let rubie come near any core-part of the clan-adminship. word by word he said, rubie is not trustworthy.
for sure, rubie & co. will call me a liar now, but just to give you this thought: why didn't sparky ever suggest rubie become clanleader? rubie had the technical knowledge to build servers, he got the financial background to pay for all of the clan's expenses and rubie was motivated like no one else! if sparky would have asked the community "who wants to be clanleader?", rubie would have rushed right in front of him and replied "here i am! i will do it!". so, thinking about these facts, can anybody explain, why sparky did not make rubie clanleader if i should not tell the truth??

coming back to the historical facts: about a year later, the sad news reached us, that sparky passed away. only few months after that, the mood of some members changed. there were not really severe problems to handle before sparky died. we had some activities on the testserver but the regular servers did not change except of adding new maps every now and then. a few members stood up and demanded the "fallback" to the gamemode jcoopz we used years before. jcoopz had lots of disatvantages compared to prototypecoop which had been developed by masterkent. same as me, sparky saw all the advantages this new custom gamemode gave us, especially for a clan with various admins, while the adminslots in jcoopz were limited (some admins even had to share one admin-access back then). besides that, jcoopz automatically limited the netspeed on servers (designed on values of the period, when pentium I and II were state of the art), which caused higher pings for players who were far away from server's location. in short words, prototypecoop offered many more and far better possibilities. so, most of us did not understand, why those few members wanted to switch back. you really can't imagine the intensity of these long-lasting discussions that came up. of course rubie saw his chance to participate in these "riots" and started to question my claim of leadership. remember: from the point sparky made me clanleader to his death, about a year elapsed and please note: nobody stood up and said, that he/she would not accept sparky's decision. no, it started right after sparky's death. nothing had changed on the servers, nothing changed within the adminship of newbies nor the membership or structure. again... kinda strange!?. the "riots" ended like this - i kicked rubie out of the clan and 2 other clanmembers left on their own wish to run their personal projects.
i'd like to note, that about half a year later i reached out my hand to rubie and invited him to come back to the clan. about a year later i reached out my hand to the other two members that had left and stated the same offer.

some time after that, rubie had another "fallback" when he was not satisified with the clan-membership-structure - again some disputes and he was gone again. we had some contact via email and there were no problems at all. rubie did his projects and tried to rise his own unreal clan (for a short period of time he had 1 member besides himself: TiagoPinto, which i really thought to be a remarkable fact!) and i concentrated on my stuff. the next "meeting-point" was the other day, when rubie came back, claiming ut for his new playground and - as if he had any legitimation to do so - naming his servers NEWBIESPLAYGROUND, which of course should cause some reaction from my side.

now about bbg: actually i considered bbg being a good friend. he was always loyal to the clan and he too did a lot of work for newbiesplayground and unreal, especially creating and fixing maps. the "problem" started this summer, to be more specific during the "unreal contest 2017".
the contest was running, when suddenly the news came up that there were 2 "mysterious" extra frags possible on one of the coop-event-maps (terraniux). those frags could have been found only, when studying the map carefully within the unreal-editor. i have to admit, we didn't know about those hidden monsters prior the event had been launched, otherwise we would have chosen some different map instead. i directly asked masterkent to reveal this secret, but he refused and his point of view was: a skilled player should be able and willing to invest time into this event to examine everything carefully even by means of the editor. of course very quickly we ended in a tough dispute including lots of emotions and it ended up in a really bad mood. i asked smirftsch if he could help me to find the secret on that map and he and krull0r could solve the mystery within short time. i was rather satisfied at that point as now we could offer the information to all players who were puzzled what they had missed in the map and give them a chance to get all frags possible. that was the whole intention behind this discussion - to give players the same chances without being a pro in ued. of course, you may see this from this or from that point of view, yet i have to say, that the discussion never got disrespectful in my opinion. masterkent and me threw our arguments on each other's head and the discussion finally ended when we had the information i was asking for.
...well, i thought it had ended. simultaneously (while this discussion was still going on), bbg approached me and said, the contest is far too difficult. i replied: no, we run standardmaps on difficulty 3. if we'd announce we had prepared a "way too difficult contest", while we were running everything on standard-settings and standard-difficulty, the whole community would laugh at us.
i tried to explain to bbg, that he should just practice a little bit and he would see, that the contest was well balanced and could be done after some trials. besides that i had to focus on the more "serious" problem regarding the "hidden monsters". to be honest, i forgot about bbg's objection meanwhile, yet i noticed he did his run meanwhile and he performed so bad that i thought: wow, this is embarrassing! - he did not even try to get all frags... but ok, everybody should do the contest as he/she wanted to, so i closed the chapter for myself.
when the contest was over, bbg suddenly posted (on the dog-council forum) his demand to remove masterkent's adminship - immediately - and wanted all council-members to support his request. i replied that i would not remove maskerkent's privilegies just because of an overheated discussion. if we could not stand that amount of criticism it'd be just ridiculous. bbg did not feel happy with my decision (as i learned shortly afterwards) and decided to keep moving on his "crusade" against mk. behind my back he contacted several "old dogs" and complained about me, that i would betray sparky's legacy, sacrfice the clan to masterkent, etc. ..... i did what? i decided not to "punish" an admin, just because this admin had a different opinion than mine was! masterkent did not offend any clanmember - he just defended his point of view and that happened to be different from mine - that's all. nothing i would think about hours later...
well, i got in touch with one of those old dogs who had been contacted by bbg and this member simply said to me: "i have read the whole discussion with masterkent and to be honest, i think sparky would have acted exactly the same as you did!"
to me the case was closed and i just thought it would take some time but everybody will cool down again and we could return to "business as usual". well, i was wrong again. the other day, when i logged into the dogforum, i noticed an entry in the forum-chatmodule, stated by GoodOlTaco that said "Someone, today, has felt the FULL POWER OF THE SAUCE!". i was not sure what i should expect, when i - just that moment - received a message from another council-member who asked me, if i had seen what taco did? i refused and i got introduced to the "news": GoodOlTaco deleted masterkent from the forum-users and deleted all his posts submitted over years as well. he did that without asking for permission! i was really upset - that's the kind of respect you can expect from some so called "loyal" clan-member. but this was not the only "manipulation" that had been done! in the forum-administration logfile, i could see, that taco banned an ip-address from forum's access. it did not happen accidentially as the ban-action had been labeled with "Taco's Hammer!". now guess, which ip he banned? no, it was not masterkent's - it was an older ip-address of myself (same provider of course!). you can't imagine how angry i got! i could not face taco directly in that very moment due to the timezone-difference (austria - mexico), but i immediately - very emotional - announced on forum that taco is out of the clan and explained my decision by the facts given.
some time later, i noticed that bbg just added to the forumchat "Mmm, SAUCE is good, can I have some more?" - wow, really disrespectful i thought. and due to the fact that bbg tried to stir up all other old dogs to support him on his "vendetta" against masterkent, i wrote to bbg, that all his privilegies have been removed and yes, i called both, bbg and taco being "traitors of sparky's legacy".
later that day i had the chance to talk to taco directly. he explained that he was in rage when he read the discussion, so he decided to remove masterkent. yet he adjured that he did not intend to ban me, but masterkent. he apologized for what he did and i closed the case.

obviously bbg joined rubie now (and probably several other ex-clanmembers, who were not able to accept sparky's decision giving me the clan-leadership) on this "ut-project".

some of you might think - well ok, strategy must have done some really big mistakes, so most likely those ex-members turned against him for good reason?! well, what did i do so far?
- i moved all newbies-servers onto a dedicated machine and did the initial setup to make everything run
- i assured that the financial situation became stable. i pay for server-rent and software-licenses and don't ask anybody to support this (i have to admit, there were several members who offered help and donations - thanks for that! but as long as i can afford it, i will pay the bills)
- i reworked the website and forum and moved them from a buggy, instable hosting-service, sparky had chosen many years ago, to a stable webserver (separate from the gameserver) i pay the rent too.
- all servers that ran while sparky was alive are still running, mostly using exact the same settings (the monstermash-, koth- and dm-servers as well as the main coop-server: jackals coop). xperience and advanced-coop server-settings have been slightly adapted by those admins who play there most of the time. others than that, all servers have been updated with the latest 227j-patches over the years and on the coop-servers we added new maps from time to time. that's all i did on the core of newbiesplayground - the servers. i'd understand the criticism of my opponents, if i had converted all unreal-serverslots into minecraft servers for example.
- i tried to give the members more abilities to contribute: i founded the dog-council to give certain members a strong vote, if we had to discuss about major changes. this ended up in the first riot, when some council-members thought they could just outvote me. unfortunately they simply did not understand the concept. besides that i offered more members adminship than we had ever before. and i gave all admins access to the control-panel to start/stop servers. back then in time only sparky and jackal (and later me) could access this feature.
- i also established a selected, loyal group of full game admins, representing me and newbiesplayground, provided with power to initiate "masterplans" and speak/act on my behalf: jackal, leela and voodoo.
- i said that i want to keep the freedom of speech within the forum, as long as the known rules regarding respect, bad language, etc. are being followed. only a really severe reason could cause the deletion of posts and threads or the exclusion of a forum-user. back then it was common use to delete everything that might ignite a dispute or fire up a discussion. the forum is full of "black holes" where you may guess once something must have been there.
- i always tried to give everybody a helping hand if i had been asked, spent uncountable hours in teamviewer to set up various player's unreal-installations or other computer-related issues, if i was able to help.
- i always tried to follow sparky's tradition, best as i could. of course i act differently on certain problems, as i don't avoid confrontations. for sure some might consider my acting harder or tougher, but i always try my best to be fair. i don't do this for fun, but if someone choses to act against me or newbiesplayground, i'm right here!
- and by now i always gave players a second chance if they behaved incorrect.

all in all i can say that i stand behind whatever had happened. and if some of you want to judge me being a bad person and/or clanleader, then be assured that i really don't care about your opinion as i do the best i can do and my motiviation is still unreserved to keep sparky's legacy alive. personally i seldom find the time to play unreal anymore, yet i am active behind the scenes.
my intention (to keep you spending your time in reading this post) was not to justify myself, i just wanted to point out how some of the people you may know as the "nice, helpful and kind" players may have a different side you did not expect to be possible.

i apologize for all typos or even sentences i may not have closed, but actually i did not have the spare time to write all this.... yet current issues with rubie & co. are worth enough to drop this statement.

once more i confirm that i am not interesting in banning (or supporting the ban) of rubie's ut-servers. i just want them to show as much respect not to use our clan's NEWBIESPLAYGROUND within their servernames!!

WOOF!