Abuse of -(DOG)- tag

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Syntax-Error
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Abuse of -(DOG)- tag

Post by Syntax-Error »

Hey guys,

This morning I was behind my PC and was wondering if anyone was already playing.
While I was going through the populated servers, I noticed some players, from which one was wearing the -(DOG)- tag.
Check the player column in the attached picture...

Three people use a "Tiago" nickname.
Can't imagine anyone beeing proud to wear the nickname Tiago Pinto, but still...
One of them uses the -(DOG)- tag.

-(DOG)-TiagoPinto

For some reason he doesn't seem to understand anything...
He's proud of his server, although I've never seen it populated ;)

But this is not acceptable...
How to respond?

Syntax-Error
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syntax-Error

TEN - The Errorist Network
www.errorist.tk
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: Abuse of -(DOG)- tag

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

hey marc!
thank you for the information!
usually i'd contact the administrator of that server and ask him to ban that player. in this case this won't work, since the members of RrD clan (hyzoran and master_unreal) previously were -(DOG)-s until i had to exclude them from our clan for not acceptable behaviour. therefor they won't even pay attention on any request!
if that player should show up on any newbies-server, he will be banned of course.

WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

LOL, check the informations in the picture closely, no cause for alarm.
Nevertheless, I don't think that's the right way to go.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

hmm, not sure what i oversee - am i searching easter eggs? :D
Syntax-Error
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Syntax-Error »

Admin info is Hyzoran....
I think she's referring to that Patrick ;)
Syntax-Error

www.errorist.tk
Syntax-Error
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Syntax-Error »

Well....

The story gets a twist...
I joined the server with my alias "Nick-Nack" to see how things went.
In the meantime, that BUTT started abusing "OldSparky-(DOG)-" and "Strategy-(DOG)-" and saying improper things.
I have screenshots if needed, but won't post them, since I don't like what he said.

I made some remarks about his behaviour...
Then the admin said "You got my attention, care to share with me who you are?"...
It didn't tell him/her that on that moment, but did discuss the behaviour of Tiago Pinto and his insults to DOG-members and the ***** stuff he did on the OldUnreal memorial topic. I told him we don't need people with this kind of behaviour.

The admin gave it some thought and banned Tiago Pinto promptly.
When I asked for how long, he told me "I think it's forever"...
He then found out who I really was, and we chatted some more.

Later the admin changed nickname... Still didn't know him...
But I was granted admin rights... (Dunno why, cause didn't ask for it).
So I asked him why I got admin rights, he's response was "Cause you seem cool".

During that chat I found out that the admin was : Master_Unreal.
He was relaxed and responding normally to me. I had the feeling he meant it. I sure was.
Chat with Master_Unreal was relaxed and okay. I think this might happen again sometime...

So...
TiagoPinto got banned, If I can believe Master_Unreal, it should be permanently.

Syntax-Error
Syntax-Error

www.errorist.tk
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

yes, i noticed that admin name is "hyzoran" - tho it seems there is a typo (hyzorar)
nevertheless, the server name is "RrD CO-OP [227I]" - referring to hyzo's clan - as well as there is a player wearing a skin named "Hyzoran8".
without knowing this server, i'd get the impression it is administrated by them....
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

ah i see! sry, i posted my answer to your post before - did not realize there was a new post following up in the meantime ;)

well that sounds ok to me! good to see that mu obviously became more mature in meantime!
Syntax-Error
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Syntax-Error »

There is no typo Strategy.
It says Hyzoran, but due to compressed image some letters show incomplete... ;)

Syntax-Error
Syntax-Error

www.errorist.tk
Dr.Flay
FOD
FOD

Post by Dr.Flay »

When Darkelarious is back, I'll ask if there is something that can be done via the master servers.
Something similar to the way fake players can be highlighted or blocked.
I never thought about fake clan members in the same way, but perhaps we can do something :D
After-all, not that we have to boast or anything, but we the Unreal community are luck to be in charge of our own masters, and the development and functions they have.
Even something like submitting a list of the official members, so the masters block random people trying to use a filtered/reserved clan tag.

I often recommend that clans use a tool like GTLite, to validate a chosen player name to a registered and traceable account.
I spotted MEAT pretending to be other people with it, and realised it can also be used as a handy validation tool.
I use it any time I play on line, so I can always prove where I was if anyone tries any stupidness with my tag.
eg. If you meet a Dr.Flay and you cannot see him online in Gametracker, it is not me (or GT is not working).

You have wisely already claimed http://www.gametracker.com/clan/-DOG-/ and so are in charge of it.
Public information about banned players could be posted on the server an clan page etc.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

as far as i learned from smirftsch it is possible to block ip-addresses within the masterserver, but to sort out fake players.... ?! of course it'd be nice if that'd be possible ;)

yes, a good recommendation for sure! i stumbled upon gametracker by chance and i thought it'd be a good way to track newbies servers. and if the players would register as well, that'd help to avoid fake players.
Syntax-Error
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Syntax-Error »

Hey guys...

Allthough it might be a good idea, who will screen the players/ip's to add to the Master Server.
In other words: who would be the blacklist authority?

It sounds good, but on the other side we should ask ourselves if we want to 'upper control' who's allowed to play...

Syntax-Error
Syntax-Error

www.errorist.tk
Dr.Flay
FOD
FOD

Post by Dr.Flay »

As the system already is;
Criteria for blocking anyone is decided before any action is taken.
Similar to the hack and cheat protection already built in.
If a pre-defined tag is seen, then automated response can happen.

Darkelarious has already made the new master able to spot the difference between a bot or a fake player, and then either remove them from view, or highlight them so they stand out, or even drop the server from the list until it sees it is clean.

Quite rightly the issue of "who are the watch-dogs?" is raised.
Well once you could complain to Epic or GS about a player or an abuse of the system and hope something may happen, but Unreal only has its community.
Where does the Unreal-buck stop ?
If it isn't Smirftsch, and it isn't the creators of the masters.
So maybe it must be the keepers of the masters ?
Unfortunately that is not much of an option either.

Our only option is to add logic to the master systems to filter the crud, based on a common consensus of opinion.
Basically what we already do, but including more types of factor.
The 333master is an ever evolving system, based on our ever evolving needs.
We therefore have to keep checking what our needs are.
A crime and any punishment are not to be taken lightly, and as such both have to be defined carefully and widely accepted.
Certain types of behaviour are not tolerated anywhere at any level, and all good admin will already do the right thing, and maybe it's time the ban-hammer had bigger teeth.

I am inclined to think that anything that gets you a lifetime ban from a server or forums, would be enough to raise it for review/inclusion.
Hate-crime in any form is something I would happily see anyone receive a complete block on all connected services.

I just did a bit of digging at ut99.org, and found something in the staff section, from a couple of years back.
by Shade » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 am
Just got that mail from "Tiago Pinto"... don't know what it means. xD
Hi
I glad Unreal99 is growing, exept Unreal Tournament 3 and Unreal 1998, so i need you help, the clans destroyng the Unreal 1,wll...i think severly quit my clan but my clan just help,its not case with another clans, need more people to stop this clan, Unreal 1 almost die!
This seems very much like the sort of person that will not let sleeping dogs lay.
I doubt you've heard the last of him.
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

i still think this is a good idea! if the technical aspects offer this functionality on the one hand we need to make sure that no abuse of blocking/banning players might come up on the other hand.

a lifetime-ban is a severe decision and if taken at the entrance (masterserver), i'd suggest some kind of "tribunal" to take care of this. best example was the player mentioned - TiagoPinto!
he deserved the lifetime-ban for sure as he messed up with almost everyone within the unreal-community. in this special case, smirftsch asked all masterserverkeepers for a consensus on this decision and we all agreed. in my opinion this was the correct way to treat this problem. of course there was a valid justification on this lifetime-ban - but we have to make sure, that there is a severe reason given! we can't execute a lifetime-ban every now and then only because someone becomes a bit uneasy. any "common" infringement of rules should be treated with temporary actions. any player should get the chance to overthink his actions and his behavior and i'd rather offer a second chance than execute someone right away.

the unreal-community is left to itself! epic dropped unreal1 long ago. if we ask for an "authority" within the unreal-community - which is very important indeed - this only can be OldUnreal for sure! without the work of Smirftsch and his crew over all these years, i'm pretty sure the game would have died years ago! and especially now, since we all have to rely on our own masterservers to keep this multigame active, i say that OldUnreal now represents what Epic once represented. the unreal-community consists of the remaining players, mappers, modders, admins, developers and it'd be a good idea to stick together within this community to keep unreal1 alive! my vote goes to Smirftsch & OldUnreal!
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

Post by SpiNacH »

In regards to RDR clan, I am at a loss. Hyz was always treated with love and respect since he joined DOG, but as we actually have rules, he left to become king of his own server where only his rules apply.

He is just a kid, but since he runs his own server, he thinks being an BUTT is a good idea. I once joined his server to say hello, only to be crapped upon and have myself and our clan crapped upon. But I suppose this is what immature kids with an inferiority complex do.

As for Adam, aka Master_Unreal (MU), I have always held a great respect for him (he is also a teen), as he has made quite a few memorable contributions to the Unreal community as well as the DOG clan.