Windows 8 Pro

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
Oldsparky

Windows 8 Pro

Post by Oldsparky »

I took advantage of the windows 8 pro low cost purchase if you act before January. I had windows 7 pro. I downloaded it as a iso file on the desktop, read carefully. It went into my computer and let me keep all files and settings. Only a couple of programs are defunct now,, Nero 10 for one. Also Creative audio programs created a few problems but all works ok. Had to reset audio from 7.1 to 2.1 to get it to sound correct since I only use 2.1. Getting the updates from windows update was kinda bonked. I had to get them one at a time, about 11 updates already. All in all, install took me about a hour and about 3 to get to work like I wanted it.
If you buy before Jan you get Windows media center for free which normally is not included in pro, but a separate purchase. I don't know about the window files themselves but it looks like a fancy wrapper on windows 7 to me. Also the new Metro interface really only works on Microsoft apps included or purchased from MS.

This is the link to the page...http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss ... cscjlJPBqq

Well Windows 8 seems to run unreal just fine, and 227I as well. This is encouraging. Because of limited ssd I cut and pasted unreal to my data hd until the installation was completed. I then pasted it back in. You can pin any program you have installed to the Metro Start page, but here,, any time you run them it drops back to a windows style desktop I am familiar with. The Metro interface is definitely different. The corners of the screen and the mouse pointer will pop up stuff. This is a very early summary as I Only been using it for about 4 hours.

But this looks like a good way to save some cash if your going to windows 8 later or just want to play. I have a dual boot capability so I can put it on its own drive and still have windows 7.

Good news is Unreal Lives.