227 as server

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
SpiNacH
FOD
FOD

227 as server

Post by SpiNacH »

Just found out we are running a 227 server on the advanced coop server.

TY spark and strat for testing this :)

Would love to see this migrated to Jackal's if it proves to be problem free. The harder difficulties are very good, no need for more spawns, as the existing pawns are a lot harder! Also the fast downloads for those who don't have or don't know about cache is a huge plus.

I understand the mantra of if it aint broken..............why fix it. But in this case running a 227 server has quite a few benefits.

Even if we don't switch, I wish to thank the server DOG's for giving it a shot. You guy's always looking out for what's best for Unreal. Is one of the many reasons I am so proud to be part of DOG.

SpiN
strategy-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Re: 227 as server

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

yes, as sparky always said, he would look at 227i as soon as the patch would have been finished.

by now there are only 3-4 map-related problems (we know about), but all in all, i think it's a good step ahead. especially the fast downloads - feature, as you already mentioned.

and yes spin, you are right about the monsters - here's a quote from smirftsch:
" About the monsters- we fixed quite some behavior and especially pathing and pathfinding we improved a lot so it is indeed possible that they act a bit more intelligent (indirectly) now. But basically it shouldn't make much difference- except of course you increase the difficulty to one of the higher levels, which are new in 227 (up to 6) - there they will kick definitely your a** :D "

it is recommended to patch your gameinstallation to 227i. if any players on newbies should have problems with the update, please check back with us!

ty for testing and contributing!
WOOF! WOOF!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Couple things about 227I servers. First the Illhaven_1 map was fixed by Leela in very quick time, thanks. There are a couple of problems I have seen already. I removed my cache folder while testing on lan server here local. Downloads are very fast and not a problem. I then did the same test for Uteam and it also was good. The New York Advanced server downloads fast and complete. There is a problem with the Chicago servers, both jackals which is basically same as New York and Sickpups. The downloads quit after about 70-90% and are not near fast enough. So I thought maybe its a Uteam issue with Sickpups and began to make a Non uteam koth server here local. First it ran ok, if i could remember commands. Then I found out that flex maps doesnt work with it. This is a 227 issue, and I am unable to find any documentation on the map list. This looks like the map array is built from the actual maps on the server installed in the map folder, I dunno. Action I have taken. Filed a service request with the Host asking if there is a problem in the Chicago server. I have posted on Old Unreal asking for map list info. As long as you have the ultiimate cache you have no problem with Sickpups that I know of yet. I decided to for the time being leave it as Uteam and 227I for further testing. The download issue maybe server related and not the game. I want to continue with 227I for a bit and see if further things maybe discovered. So we need someone to play Koth. This is my day for meds so I won't be much good for couple of days. Pehaps some players can test out Sickpups for me. I have delayed conversion to the MM servers until I am convinced I will not have to revert to 225. I believe wolf could fix this, but he has stopped updating uteam a year or two back.. So if I have to revert to 225 it maybe the best way to solve the problems that would cause us to change the way we have run the KOTH server for years. But testing goes on. I am honestly really trying to make this work.

Off to bed for couple of hours,, rat poison pills.
{KDS}Rewind
FOD
FOD

Post by {KDS}Rewind »

On TCP Forums, may be the map issue you described above.

TCP-Wolf
<It appears that 227i has introduced some mod incompatibilities with map handling / changing.

That is kinda unfortunate, since I told Smirftsch about that after he came to me with a problem. Seems he kept the changes which are responsible for that in the code, despite me advising against it.

No point in installing 227i on our servers then as that would royally screw all our setups then.>

Forum Link:
http://www.tcpclan.net/phpforum/viewtopic.php?t=3967
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Thanks for the feed back. I do think wflex map will work if server is using Uteam. I will find out shortly as the server will soon be back on line.