Hope Unreal runs on Linux.

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
T_larson911
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Hope Unreal runs on Linux.

Post by T_larson911 »

I'm about to start a format on my system and I'm going to be doing a fresh reload of Linux Mint 11. I have not decided which one I like the most, but I've gotten Unreal to run on Ubuntu, with Wine, before and but I'm going to see how it works on Mint. I may not be on for a while if it does not work right because I want to stick with Linux for a while. lol.
Does anyone run Unreal on Linux, using Wine?
"Long live Unreal"
.:T_larson911 (The Krall slayer)
TomKatRebel

Re: Hope Unreal runs on Linux.

Post by TomKatRebel »

I play Unreal on Wine under Fedora 14 at the moment without any problems, however I did try running Unreal under Mint 11 on the same machine just a few weeks back as I would have preferred to switch my desktop to Mint same as my laptop. My experience with Unreal on Mint was no graphics at all - just a black screen. I tried both the Nvidia drivers that came with the install and also the ones from the Nvidia site - both were a no-go.

If you do manage to get it running please let me know how you did it. Fedora have adopted GNOME 3 as standard and I hate it, so I don't want to upgrade to newer versions.
T_larson911
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by T_larson911 »

I have finally gotten Linux Mint 11 installed onto my system and I've tried to run Unreal. I've copied the direct Unreal folder that I've been playing on and put it on my external drive. After I installed Mint, I put Unreal on the computer and installed all the drivers (including video), then I deleted the unreal.ini config file, so I run the setup before starting. The default res when I started Unreal was at the lowest, so I tried to change the res while in game, but it blacked out the screen but I could hear the game running. I had to force reboot.
After rebooting, I went to the Unreal.ini file and changed the resolution to 1440x900 (my native resolution) then I started the game and It ran just fine. The only problem is when I play multiplayer it seems like it lags (not fps), the game runs actually pretty good (I've set the renderer to OpenGL). It's just there is a delay in weapon fire(1-2 seconds) sometimes.
Other than that, it runs quite decent.
"Long live Unreal"
.:T_larson911 (The Krall slayer)
TomKatRebel

Post by TomKatRebel »

Sounds like you had the same issues as I had. Mine also blacked out and although I could hear game running in background, I too had to force reboot to shut it down. I have to say though, although I did set to OpenGL drivers, I don't think I bothered trying setting to native display resolution. I have Mint 10 on my laptop so I think I'll dust it off and try again on there, if successfully I'll upgrade both desktop and laptop to Mint 11. Which drivers did you use, the ones included in the installer, or the ones from Nvidia site?

I also experience 'the lag' sometimes, I just view it as one of the crosses to bear for running a better operating system :D