Language problem

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Language problem

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

There is a little problem with an often used shortcut for 'see you'.
Many people use 'cu' for it. Well, this is not a good choice because in spanish it stands for the word 'culo'. There are often misunderstandings, so please try not to use it. Think 'cya' or 'bye' work also very well. ;)
BrakeDanceJ
FOD
FOD

Re: Language problem

Post by BrakeDanceJ »

Don't you think we should cater to the language of the country the server resides in..
SHRED-{DOG}-

Post by SHRED-{DOG}- »

you cant please all the ppl all the time cyaall wait is that hillbilly?
Gort-{DOG}-
GameServer Admin
GameServer Admin

Post by Gort-{DOG}- »

Just for future reference so there's no language misunderstanding when Spark or I text on the server:

SENIORS TEXTING CODE : ... ATD..At The Doctors. BFF..Best Friend Fell. BTW..Bring the Wheelchair. BYOT..Bring Your Own Teeth. FWIW..Forgot Where I Was. GGPBL..Gotta Go Pacemaker Battery Low. GHA..Got Heartburn Again. IMHO..Is My Hearing-Aid On. LMDO..Laughing My Dentures Out. OMMR..On My Massage Recliner. OMSG ..Oh My! Sorry, Gas. ROFLACGU....Rolling On Floor Laughing And Can't Get Up. TTYL..Talk To You Louder.
OoiGooEE
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by OoiGooEE »

That's tooooo funny Gort :lol: :lol: :lol:
OoiGooEE-{DoG}-

Work to Eat - Eat to Live - Live to Love - Love to Play - Play at Work
{{{The Circle of Life}}}
"Semper Canis"
GoodOleTaco

Post by GoodOleTaco »

Sorry but we dont use CU for the word u mentioned. Believe me, I been in Mexico all my life..lol. I would not be offended or think its bad when someone uses it.
£éè£å-(DOG)-
Full Game Admin
Full Game Admin

Post by £éè£å-(DOG)- »

Yep of course I believe you ;) , but there were several cases in the past where misunderstandings occurred. Last week it even ended up in a ban because a player felt offended by the term 'cu'. He just thought it stands for the word I mentioned in the first post. Most of the players know what 'cu' means, but not all.
Ah lol it's not easy with so many different languages, but I think with the right sensitivity it works quite well :D .
Oldsparky

Post by Oldsparky »

Many abbreviations you see on the internet are carry overs from the international morse code. People need to learn to deal with these things.

CUL See you later
TNX thanks
HI HI Laughter
OM Old Man
YL young lady
XYL Married woman
Pse Please
QTH Home
73 best regards
88 Love and Kisses
Adr Address

These were used in the morse code days to lower the number of characters transmitted by the dots and dashes.
There are a whole list of these abrv.

Yes the Old one is proficent in Morse code.

Woofers.